Low howling noise in driver-side front end? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Low howling noise in driver-side front end?

I last night I did a 4x4 boost launch just to see my 0-60 and after I had this howling noise in my driver-side front end. I had this same noise before but it went away while driving and last night it didnt. When I speed up and then let off the noise is still loud like its not associated with the engine. Its not real loud but I guess a howling noise would best describe it. I dont know if its a wheel bearing or what. I 'v never had one go out so I dont know if that what it is or not. Anyone have any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Easiest way to tell would be to jack up that side and grab the wheel at top and bottom and check for play. Also spin the wheel and see if the bearing is making a growling sound.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0DSLPWR View Post
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Easiest way to tell would be to jack up that side and grab the wheel at top and bottom and check for play. Also spin the wheel and see if the bearing is making a growling sound.
Grabbing the top and bottom could give you a false reading for ball joints. You better off putting you hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. After you jack up the wheel, have a helper push and pull on the tire, alternating the push/pull, while you look underneath at the rotor and a non movable part like the steering knuckle. While the helper is pushing and pulling, look for movement of the rotor compared to the knuckle. There should be no movement/clicking of the rotor.

For ball joints, have the helper put his hand at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position and push-pull alternating the movement. You can look at the upper and lower ball joint for movement. Again there should be no movement of the ball joint socket.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay thank you guys. I'll check it out. The not hearing it all the time is whats really throwing me off. I would if I had a problem like that it would be there all the time, but I guess we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.