Thinking of going from 7.3 to 6.0 or possibly cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of going from 7.3 to 6.0 or possibly cummins

Hey guys I've been thinking of selling my 1999.5 F250 and upgrading to a '06 F250. I want a better towing rig for 10-15k weight. I've been throwing all kinds figures and questions around in my head. I haven't driven a 6.0 and not sure how much grunt it has down low. I've started looking at some 2005 cummins and just has so much torque at 1500rpms. Since it makes max torque at that rpm I would think while pulling the load on freeway it would be in its sweet spot and not struggle.

If I got either truck I plan only to mod them with bolt on and keep stock turbos. I'd do the studs, EGR delete for sure on the 6.0

As far as the 6.0 truck..it has been my favorite truck even when I bought my 7.3 I wanted the 6.0 and had envy ever since. I love the styling, the tougher look and I think its the best sounding truck hands down. I know the Ford has a tougher body, suspension, transmission then the dodge..its just which engine has a better torque curve? When I watch 6.0 dynos it seems it lights off at high rpms so I don't want to have to rev the crap out of it to pull my trailer. Has anyone here owned both?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I haven't owned both but will say that with the proper mods the 6.0 will tow your trailer with ease.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Engine vs engine, the Cummins will out pull the 6.0 7 days a week. Problem is everything surrounding the engine.

I would invest the 5k the Dodge WILL need in a transmission(and the other normal mods you WILL do) and address the 6.0's issues, full bulletproof oil cooler/egr setup, SCT X3 with a good tow tune with turbo brake or buy the Banks turbo brake controller(one of the only things BANKS worth buying, its AWESOME) and exhaust/ edge insight/blah blah blah...the normal stuff needed for actually working these trucks(insight mandatory for even driving though!)

Just stay around a 33" tire and with the 3.73 gears these trucks tow fine.

The Dodge will still have the power advantage but the 6.0 will still pull anything you have any business hooking to a light duty truck at legal speeds up just about any primary highway grade in the US.

I came from the Dodge/Cummins platform and have no regrets. Just dont buy a 6.0 with a rap sheet. Get one with a clean OASIS report and service records.

Jason
Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 PM

My old mans LBZ Duramax 2500 stock will out muscle my towsafe chipped 6.0 anyday of the week. Smokes my 6.0 in the motor dept. I like my truck though waay better. Both trucks are lariat/lt trim. Ford feels like a real truck, chevy feels small. Just my opinion. Had a dodge 1500 hemi before my ford. 160k never had a problem. The truck as a whole though was not up to the same level in the fit and finish as a Ford.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I dont know what trucks you guys are driving, my truck tows like an absolute animal
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM

I have towed with all three.

the cummins has great low end to get you off the line, but QUICKLY runs out of breath, it's a dog at speed

the Dmax is a powerhouse, but they suck to tow with. They don't handle well under load, an I have put more than one into limp mode during a flogging....

The Ford has it's issues, but is a great truck, good bottom end, good top end, and a SOLID transmission, handles heavy tow loads much better than the dodge or chevy.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
I dont know what trucks you guys are driving, my truck tows like an absolute animal
Mine does awesome.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM

I think tunes and ECM/FICM strategies make a way bigger difference on the 6.0 than any other diesels.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

I had a cummins and down low pulled great but once up to speed it was down shifting on every little hill. The trannys and front ends suck on dodge. My 6.0 took the same route as the Cummins and it didnt down shift one time and really didnt feel like I had 7500lbs hooked to it
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM

A 6.0 will run away from a 24v Cummins in stock form. But a CR Cummins vs a 6.0 is no contest in raw power stock or modded. Like i said before though, just about everything attached to the Cummins is junk though.

A lightly modded CR Cummins with a real trans behind it is a seriously powerful rig.

Also, a dodge wont downshift unless you lost a ton of steam heading up hill since with overdrive off it is in 3rd gear with the TC locked. There is no gear to downshift to...

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.