Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0l life expectancy

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  emperorjordan 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a f-250 with a 6.0l powerstroke. What is the life expectancy or miles I could expect to get from the 6.0l?

#2 ·
TRZ,
Welcome to the board. I am new here also. I have an '04 F250 6.0L with 100k miles. All stock with no problems at this point. I am just beginning to do preventative maintenance beginning with coolant flush and replacement, hopefully soon. There are a number of guys here with a lot of experience and very helpful. Good luck with your decision. I wouldn't change my mind about mine at all.
Roger

#3 ·
I would think that if all other preventative maintenance is taken care of and there are no major failures due to improper use or neglect, the first thing that will seriously begin to show wear is the valvetrain. The 4 valve design is like on some detroit diesels with the little beam that goes from the top of the pushrod to the valves puts lateral strain on the valves, and over time I can see this causing the need for headwork earlier than say a 7.3. How many miles till this becomes a problem, I have no clue.

I had mid 600k miles on my 6.9 IDI diesel that I bought beat to **** and continued to beat on, and the heads had never been off as far as we could tell. for sure not in the last 300k or so. I personally went through two C6 autos in that truck but the motor held rock solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.