'06 F-250 Head Gasket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '06 F-250 Head Gasket

My truck currently has 198,000 miles on it and has started losing coolant. Especially when towing my work trailer.

I took it to my local Ford Dealer mechanic (who has been pretty trustworthy) and he checked it out and said that he thinks I need new head gaskets.

I have a few different questions:

1. Is there any way to definitively conclude that I need the head gaskets?

2. If/when I get the head gaskets done, what else should I replace/check? (Besides studs and possibly the BPD egr cooler.)

2a. Is there any advantage to modifying the exhaust while the cab is off?

3. Since I put quite a few road miles on my truck, how can I reduce the noise inside the cab to as quiet as possible?

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Rebuild oil cooler, STC fitting, Standpipes and dummy plugs

Powermax turbo, 175cc injectors, new tunes.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Chapter Director

If you are planning on ever installing a turbo back exhaust system. Putting it on while the cab is off is a smart move.

Regarding noise: 6.0's are noisy (I personally LOVE it. I want my diesel to sound like one) The only thing that would maybe help would be to tear out the interior and put down some dyna mat sound dampening material on the inside. Other than that - The brand new ones are quiet.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to StrokinBig
if your loosing coolant its more than likely head gaskets. thats what mine was at only 90,000 miles. as advise from me to you, do the job quickly or it will mess up other things due to overheating from low coolant. make sure you put black onyx head gaskets with arp head studs to prevent it from happening again. i tried to put it off for as long as possible. when i finally got around to it i had to pay for new head gaskets, studs, egr delete, AND 2 new heads because both of mine were cracked. hope this helps man!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Are you doing to do the job yourself? If so, let us know. There are some good write ups on all of this. If you have the space to take the body off and you have some free time, do it yourself!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It also could be the EGR cooler, might want to check that.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 AM

have the valve guides checked too. my truck 170,000 miles waiting on heads right now to get done all valve guides were bad.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM

You can determine if it is the head gasket by checking the amount of pressure in the degas bottle. Get a good pressure gauge and a really long hose, and T it into the line going to the top of the degas bottle. You can get this stuff for cheap at a parts store, or they have a "hero kit" I have seen at powerstrokehelp.com "Hero Kit" Rental... aka Diagnostic Pressure Kit Rental I made my own.

Anyway, you want to go for a drive, this guy explains it better than I could ever type:

That will help determine if it is a BHG or the EGR cooler. I made one of these, and convinced the sellers of several trucks to let me test before I bought. Two of the trucks I looked at had blown headgaskets. Glad I did not purchase those!

As for the exhaust, I would for sure not put it on with the cab off, because there is no way to see what the clearance will be with the downpipe to the cab. Sure it will be easier to put on, but you are going to have to loosen and tweak once the cab is back on anyway, so you are basically doing it twice. I specifically did my exhaust with the cab on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That guy is a total a$$hat and you can not tell whether it is a head gasket or an egr cooler by the pressure reliably. When coolant flow is restricted to the egr cooler because the oil cooler is clogged the reduced amount of coolant in the egr cooler will flash boil when the egt's climb.

What happens when the coolant flashes? Yes, that's right, you get high pressure in the coolant system. That is what ruptures egr coolers.

You can test the degass bottle for the presence of exhaust gasses as a reliable test for blown head gaskets.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I won't be doing the job myself. I've actually got less time than money at this point, although not much of the latter either.

My mechanic will install anything I decide on, so I just want to make sure that I won't have major issues past this one, that can be prevented. I would love to post back at 500,000 miles praising the advise in this thread.

Thanks for the advice already given, and keep it coming. With the price of new trucks these days, this one is going to have to last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.