EGR Valve: Question about O-Ring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Valve: Question about O-Ring

Popped my EGR valve out today (05' F-250 6.0 stock) to clean some of the crud off. Local parts stores do not have the Gasket Kits in stock and I was feeling kinda cheap, so I was going to reuse the old O-rings until the new ones came in. Well, when I went to reinstall the valve, I pinched an O ring (bottom one).

Here is my question. Wife is out of town and I am playing single dad for 4 kids for the next week or so and one vehicle. Will I hurt anything by running the vehicle without the o-ring until the new one comes in. Should be here tomorrow, next day at the latest. Only local driving, 30 miles daily max. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by gunnz75; 04-14-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The truck might run like poop, exhaust gases will constantly be entering the intake. And if the leak is bad enough, the coolant can enter the intake causing the motor to hydro-lock or stretch the headbolts.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The bottom o ring is not usable at all. The EGR valve would only have the top oring. How much coolant flows through? and how would it escape. Not very knowledgeable with the whole EGR system. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnz75 View Post
The bottom o ring is not usable at all. The EGR valve would only have the top oring. How much coolant flows through? and how would it escape. Not very knowledgeable with the whole EGR system. Thanks for the reply
Page #37
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.pdf

Page #6
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.pdf
Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go to ford dealer in the morning and buy a gasket kit for the valve.Tomorrow at work I can log on and give you the exact part number if you like.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ya buy one at Ford you get the 2 o rings and gasket for like $8 I just cleaned mine last week.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I will head down to the Ford Dealership and pick one up. It is about 20 miles or so away.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

EGR O-ring AND gasket kit number is 3C3Z-9P455-AB or International # 1840778C92
Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FYI about diesel EGR systems. A few this have to happen to for the egr system to work. First of all thats why some manufactures use "twins" (compound turbos) or vgt's . They require a more controlled boost pressure and more of it. It has to help create a strong enough draft to help the egr process happen Second the egr valve will open when the coolant temps reach operating temperature. They do not want "ice" cold exhaust gases reentering the combustion chambers. Its bad enough that exhaust is reentering an engine anyway. The egr cooler knocks the temp of the gases to around 170d f. From what i understand in 2009 and newer engines tampering with any emission control devices, or letting your urea tank empty will put the engine in derate, or bypassing the dpf and its differential sensors will cause all sorts of issues. So even though your engine isn't that new, i wouldn't mess around with leaving o-rings or gaskets out and running your engine. Suggestion, if you had crud built up in the egr valve, i would consider inspecting the exhaust turbine wheel, and the vanes in the turbo, if its possible. I really don't like the idea of multiple moving parts in the turbos exhaust stream, more to get goobered up or not work at all. Any one last thing, avoid hot shut downs, and no more idling, if it has to idle more then five minutes, shut it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.