Extended Warranty For our trucks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Extended Warranty For our trucks?

I was thinking that with the high problem/failure rate of certain systems on our trucks if it would be worthwhile purchasing an aftermarket warranty. For instance my eot/ect delta is at 13 degrees currently so i know sooner than later i will need a egr cooler and oil cooler. My truck is an 03 with 120k on it. I did a quick quote online and a 5 year 100k warranty would be $1900 bucks with a $100 deductable. That would pretty much cover the repairs right there.
Anyhow i have always refused extended on anything ihave ever bought but maybe this time it would be a good idea? Whats your thoughts?

Last edited by DENALI; 04-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have one, and it paid for its self however, and that’s a big (,) there is a lot of stuff they don’t cover. Most don’t cover failed seals, fuel systems or components of fuel systems. Components that fail because of failed seals etc... Need to do a bunch of research. When doing repairs the shop needs to diagnose and write up the failure in a way that cannot allow the warranty company to believe that failures were caused by a seal etc.. you really need to fight to get your money back. But it is worth it.

I lifted my heads, no egr damage, at the same time I had my turbo replaced. It was damaged but not due to the HG failing. They would not cover the turbo because they thought it was tied to the HG. Had to get the tech to speak to them and explain what was what and eventually got the money back. They won’t cover hub seals that fail on a 4x4 etc… I would imagine if your EGR fails and causes your HG to fail it would be covered, maybe.
Good luck finding a company that isn’t out to screw you.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Don't you worry about it

yea you gotta be very careful with the aftermarket warranties. I bought an extended warranty from ford when I got my truck used at 43k. I bought a 3/36k Ford warranty for like $1900. I've milked that sucker dry. Normally they send out request for renewal constantly when it's about to expire.... lets just say I haven't seen any :-)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Can you still get one from Ford? If this is aftermarket, I would say no. However, I guess there are different ones out there like anything. My warentee expires on Thursday. I was going to extend through Ford. But, Im studed, EGR gone, is an 06 so my trans isnt covered. My coolant/oil delta is 0-2* city 4-7* at 90 MPH over an hour. I am not doing it.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldn't bother. They rip off more people than they help. Replacing the oil cooler and installing an egr delete or a BPD egr cooler is not really that difficult and if you do the work yourself can be done for well under $500.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM

I went with the extended warranty on mine from Ford. My truck had 48K miles on it when I bought and for 1500 if anything goes wrong, tire blow out whatever, it's covered.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

You can do a lot of upgrading for less than an ext warranty costs. If you get the warranty you can expect them to find some reason that you have voided it the first time you try to use it, even if you get it from Ford.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought my 06 F350 a year ago with 40,000 mi on it and with the thought of possible high dollar repairs purchased a Ford ESP warranty. 48/48,000 extracare w/roadside for around $2000. IMO it was the best money I ever spend. Just recently the battery light started coming on once in a while, took it to Ford and they replaced the alternator whick was about a $500 repair and while it was in the shop they noticed a small oil oil at the bell housing. They pulled the engine and relaced the bedplate seals, not sure what the repair bill was but I only paid my $100 deductable for both repairs. Pretty damn cheap insurance.

I did a lot of research before I bought and would only reccomend the Ford ESP warranty. They will send someone out to do an inspection on the truck so if it has any mods it might not qualify for their warranty. Just my opinion
Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought mine from a toyota dealer with 39k on it and it is legit. I bought the Platinum one and it covers everything- hubs, seals and gaskets you name it, its covered. If I'm not mistaken you can just add it to a vehicle you already own, even if you didnt but if from a toyota dealer. It will have to have an inspection done to if before they will cover it but it might be one to look into. I already had my tow/haul button replaced with it and the service guys at the shop said its one of the better ones.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM

I purchased an aftermarket warranty through the bank that funded my loan. $2100 for their "top of the line" coverage. My truck at the dealership right now for a blown oil cooler, EGR cooler, and possibly head gaskets as well. My warranty is covering all of it! The best part is, the bank lowered my APR from 5.75% to 2.9% so my payments stay the same amount, for the same duration, and no "balloon payment" at the end. So I pretty much got it for free. My truck is covered for another 5yr 68k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.