Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intercooler from mishimoto or bpd egr cooler?

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  a2elvis 
#1 ·
Which one is recommended first. If I were to not do both at the same time? Any info helps thanks!

#3 ·
EGR cooler failure can cause big problems. Surely do the EGR cooler first. Just remember the oil cooler is the real problem. Replace that as well.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I should clarify more, I live in denver and when I drive over some of the passes I see my EGT's get pretty high, I've seen it pass 1400 briefly so I am wondering what would help lower them during these trips. I have the exhaust and intake. But I do know the oil cooler and egr problems, I am going to get a new oem oil cooler, and the bdp egr. Guess I was just wondering if any after market intercoolers are worth it, or would water/meth be a better route?

#8 ·
What programmer are you running to get that high of egt? Are you pulling a trailer?

#9 ·
I also agree with the other post. It is a waste of money to buy a egt delete. You can have your up pipe welded shut or your egr welded close with freeze plugs for under 50 bucks. Spend your money on the oil cooler and turbo drain. Head studs are a must.

#11 ·
No no trailer or load. I get up around 12k feet plus on some of these passes here. But I have the sct with tunes from matt @ gearhead.
So you dont think I should buy the bpd egr? And just weld it up instead? Im always down to save a few bucks!

#10 ·
Sorry I should answer your original question. I run the Banks Techni- Cooler and the Snow Performance mpg max. I have several trailers but when I pull my heaviest trailer the Banks cut 175 deg off of my egt's. I use to have to run the edge in tow. Now I can run with setting number 3. Any more than that the programmer will back down. The mpg max is really hard to control. Too many variables. I need more time to adjust. I have noticed maybe 25 to 30 less but unless your on flat ground it's hard to tell at that little amount.

#12 ·
You already have an SCT so make sure your tunes will prevent the CEL or soft codes with the EGR delete. Pull the EGR up-pipe (right side), have the "T" welded shut and see what happens. If you find a large scoop inside that same pipe have it removed (easy to do) before you weld it up.

#15 ·
I cant do the egr delete though I have emissions here in denver they visually inspect the cat and the egr. But can i still weld the up pipes?

#13 ·
I agree. That is how I deleted my cooler. I used freeze plugs from Napa and welded the 3 openings shut. It looks stock but is plugged. Also I removed the flute in the up pipe. You will only have a check engine light come on if you are running the latest flash from Ford. It has been a hard decision for me to run the new flash. It will make the wrench light come on and the check engine light if your oil cooler starts to plug up. it also changes your Turbo Strategy for low end but I am worried about a major loss in mpg. I have heard this from others about a loss of mpg after the new flash.

#16 ·
We have around 40 of the Super Duty Fords at work. I'm the GM. We always have 1 or 2 in the shop. The Ford techs come to my shop to reprogram the FICM if needed. That is where I get my info from. I can get you more info on the Turbo and post it here in the morning. we are working on an 04 right now and as soon as you plug in the ICP the truck shuts off. If it's a strange problem it must be in my shop!

#17 ·
Weld away! They can't see any of this from the outside.

#18 ·
ricearoni what size tires are you runnin on your truck, and what is the backspacing on your wheels? sorry about getting off topic but your truck just has an awesome stance!:thumb: Thanks

#19 ·
Thanks man! and no worries, they are 37x1350. with the +12 off set if thats what you are asking.

#20 ·
Yeah thats it! Thanks

#21 ·
Has anyone here heard of the fines and court time for modifying or deleting emmissions control devices in some states. Just seems like Ive heard of big fines if caught... Just wondering if anyone has had it happen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.