EGR question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carlisle, Ohio
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR question?

I was at a Diesel shop the other day talking to the mechanic about an egr delete kit. He said well I'll save you a couple hundred dollars. He popped the hood and disconnected a conection on the top front of my motor. He said that that will stop the gate from opening and bypassing the egr. My question is, is this true and should I run my truck like this? Please inform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbowlin View Post
I was at a Diesel shop the other day talking to the mechanic about an egr delete kit. He said well I'll save you a couple hundred dollars. He popped the hood and disconnected a conection on the top front of my motor. He said that that will stop the gate from opening and bypassing the egr. My question is, is this true and should I run my truck like this? Please inform.
Disconnecting the EGR valve alone does nothing for you. You need the delete to eliminate the cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,969
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Disconnecting the EGR valve alone does nothing for you. You need the delete to eliminate the cooler.
Correct, all he did was unplug the EGR valve. That does not eliminate thew possibility of the egr cooler failing if the oil cooler clogs. I'd look elsewhere for a mechanic that understands the 6.o.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,630
Thanks: 85
Thanked 180 Times in 144 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What they said^^^^

Also with certain year trucks and certain stradegies, when you unplug the EGR valve, it causes issues like clutch fan not getting to full RPM, and VGT won't cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
What they said^^^^

Also with certain year trucks and certain stradegies, when you unplug the EGR valve, it causes issues like clutch fan not getting to full RPM, and VGT won't cycle.
Is this related to the 05+ trucks? Just curious. My buddy did an EGR delete on his 06 and ordered Matt's SRL tune. Matt told him to leave the EGR valve in and connected because of the fan issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,630
Thanks: 85
Thanked 180 Times in 144 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Is this related to the 05+ trucks? Just curious. My buddy did an EGR delete on his 06 and ordered Matt's SRL tune. Matt told him to leave the EGR valve in and connected because of the fan issue.
I really have no idea what year trucks it effects, and those who unplug the valve without having a scan tool to manually run the clutch fan, won't know either until cooling issues arise. Here is the link that Nylyon posted with this concern. Matt also asked me if my valve was plugged in, I told him I knew of the fan issues, and I told him about how another member and myself, had no VGT cycle when the valve was unplugged. Even with custom tuning.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...egr-valve.html

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=102838
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors