Restore and Restore Plus coolant question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Restore and Restore Plus coolant question?

I bought a gallon of both Restore and Restore plus today and I am planning on doing a complete flush and fill tomorrow. I have a question about the use of the Restore and Restore plus. I read the bottle and many post and everyone says to add the Restore and then run the truck for 60-90 minutes. I don't mind driving around, but I like my money more than just letting it go out the tail pipe driving aimlessly. So can you put the Restore in and leave it in overnight, or do you need to put it in and take it out right away? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know where your headed, and you think maybe it will work while sitting, eating away the crud?

I *believe* the reason you drive around for 60-90 minutes is to allow the water to get to normal operating temperatures, and also allow the thermostat to open and circulate the chemicals throughout the whole block. If you just filled and let sit over night, its not doing anything past the thermostat and into the block...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If I remember right, the restore needs to be up to normal operating temp in order for it to work. You may look at it as a waist of fuel, but you can also look at it as a preventive maintenance that without it will cost you alot more that 60-90min of fuel.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can also let it sit on high idle instead of riding around. That will use the least fuel but just sitting in a cold engine is like throwing your laundry in a bucket of cols soapy water and calling it good to go.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Just a quick note on the subject..... I just did a flush with restore and restore plus. On the bottle it says to be run at normal operating temps of 185 degrees. Now when I took the thermostat out and drove the chit out of it.... system never got above 140 !

When I took the heads off just last week I noticed a bit of rust scale still left in the block..... not sure if this was due to the lower temperature not allowing the chemicals to work 100% or not....... But I almost think you need to leave the thermostat in to get it up to max temps if you live in a colder climate like me to get 100% out of your flush. Anybody have different info on this ?

Not sure if I should attempt another flush after I get it all back together or not. Hate to end up screwing up my new oil cooler in the process by washing rust scale into the cooler only to plug it up....... I seem to have bad luck with oil coolers and flushes ! Last flush I did smoked a 6 month old oil cooler
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Oh I am going to drive it that is for sure. I am going to run some errands tomorrow I just didn't want to get on the freeway and drive in Circles. I am not going to put it in and just let it sit overnight that is for sure. I apologize for not clearly stating this. I just want to make sure that running here and there shutting the truck off will not affect the outcome of the cleaner. Thanks again and I again apologize for not making myself more clear in the original post.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM

I just did mine this past weekend with thermostat out. I drained and flushed with water then added the restore. I had the truck on High Idle for out 45 mins and it was warm, but not normal temp. So I hit the highway and opened the OMG'R (old man gold rocket) up. About 20 mins @ 100mph she was at normal temps. Drove it for about another 1hr, then let it naturally cool so the engine could displace the heat back into the coolant. Flushed with water 5 times. Filled with the +, put it on High Idle for 1.5hrs. Wife called, had to abort the mission for a couple hours.

When I got back to it, I put it on High Idle for another hour, then took it for another good drive. Let it cool, then drained and flushed, and flushed, and flushed another 10 times. Then did 5 distilled water flushes after that. It took me all day, flushes were done with 5 min run times.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 PM

60-90 min!!!??? Just block the radiator from the air flow...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When using any cleaners, the rule is alway time and temperature. Temperature as high as possable and time as long as possable. Especialy with alkaline cleaners. For every 10 deg increase in temp, efficeincy goes up something like 10% (can't remember exact it's been a while since i sold stuff like this)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 AM

Well I just go home from doing the first flush with the Restore and the water/coolant that came out was WHITE!! I hope this is the cleaner doing its job. Can I run the other half of a gallon of the Restore again so I would have run the Restore through twice and then do the Resotre Plus twice as well with out hurting anything? This is in an Excursion so my cooling system is almost 8 gallons due to the rear heat. I will have used a gallon of each the Restore and Restore Plus. Thanksa gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.