Full Hydro & 4 Link - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full Hydro & 4 Link

I am not the biggest fan of my Panhard bar. Already had to replace the bushing twice in less than 50,000 miles.
In the interest of preventing the future possibility of Death Wobble as well as eliminating mechanical links in the suspension (and thus eliminating bump steer), is it at all practical to run full hydraulic steering and a triangulated 4 link on a daily driven F350?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No. It is illegal to run full hydraulic steering on the street. You can do a hydraulic assist but not a full hydraulic.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
No. It is illegal to run full hydraulic steering on the street. You can do a hydraulic assist but not a full hydraulic.
So you can show me a law on the books that requires a mechanical link in all stages of my steering system?

There is no reason, safety or otherwise, that I cannot do this. I'd just like to get my head around everything involved, and if anyone can provide some insight I would appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do your own effin research! We don't know where you live but check it out, it's a federal safety law anyways so you won't find it in most state levels.

You want to build a hardcore offroad crawler then go for it. Sanctioning race bodies DO NOT ALLOW spherical rod ends so why would it be a good idea on the street???

Start with Therockgods.com or pirates4x4.com and see how ridiculous your argument is. We're brutal to ideas like that over there.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM

I am sure the guys on pirate4x4 would love to beat this one to death.

Full hydro steering is not safe or practical for street use period. I have been involved in building full hydro steering systems a couple times on my buddys crazy rock crawler and it just does not have proper feedback for street driving. I am involved on SteelSoldiers.com and many have considered full hydro for the deuce, but after a year of discussion and several tests, it is just not usable for street even if it were legal. It is illegal for good and sound reasons, unlike some other laws!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM

I take that back, it is legal in some states according to the DOT. But still a bad idea IMO. Mainly because of return to center problems, making it fail proof and drive-ability problems.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im with these guys on advice offered so far. Additionally brother, if youve gone through panrod bushings twice in 50k you have other issues. ive had 4 lifted superduties, all done right, never had a death wobble or worn out a bushing in the panrod bar in nearly 500k miles of lifted superduties. Icon and others make a good aftermarket replacement with metal bushings that are superior to the stock rubber... good luck... many companies sell hydro assist, those are sweet, and would be a great add on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.