Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New PSD for me!

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Fox Hunt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, So im kinda new to this whole diesel world. I just picked up an 05 6.0 F250 supercrew with 74,000 miles on it. I dont know the maintence on it so the first thing I was gonna do is start from scratch. Was wondering if you guys had any recs for brands (oil,coolant,trans...etc)

So far the under the hood is pretty stock. As for the outside it had a few extras. A nice lift and new fab tech suspension with toyo 37's.

I know all the problems with these things lie with the oil cooler and egr cooler. I spoke with a diesel mechanic friend and he told me to look into the bulletproof oil cooler. I was wondering if I should do that or just delete the EGR?

Thanks for any info

-Chris

#2 ·
Welcome to the ORG. There are some very knowledgeable people on here in regards to the 6.0. I however am not one of them so I will allow one them to help you.

#3 ·
:ORG welcome: and congrats on the :icon_ford:

As for the bulletproof oil cooler... you don't really need one... Get something like a Edge Insight CTS to monitor the ECT & EOT and go from there for that....

but a EGR delete, coolant filter, and a EC-1 rated coolant and then your Powerstroke will love you alot more for those simple things.... and when you do a flush of the old coolant use Restore and Restore Plus :thumb:

#4 · (Edited)
That's pretty much the recipe. If your oil and coolant temp delta exceeds 15* rebuild the oil cooler. Do those things and you are sitting pretty good with your 6.0.

Use Racor or Motorcraft filters (dieselfiltersonline.com is a great place to get them) and a 5w40 synthetic oil with no more than a 6k mile oil change interval. Change fuel filters every 15k.

#5 ·
welcome I'm new to it too and the guys here are so helpfull I've switched mine to Rotella T6 today and ordered my fuel and external trans filter form dieselfiltersonline soon to start on the coolant filter and other recomndations I've learned here @ the ORG

#9 ·
Wow, you can definitely tell its tax season. I got lucky with mine but my pyrometer probe was on back order for a couple weeks.

:ORG welcome:

#11 ·
I got the edge cts to monitor my trucks vitals and I also got the sct flash tuner. Well worth the money. I am getting a lot better fuel economy and a lot better throttle and power responce. Dont know if your truck has the head studs but that is a must before ever trying to get more power out of your engine. Also I dont know where you live but go to OC Disel shop if you live in southern california. Great price on product and awsome service. Plus they back up there work.

#12 ·
Check out performancetruckproducts.com I got mine from them and they are a site sponsor. They had a sale when I got them, but I think this is still one of the better deals. They ship fast and I had great luck with them, they also have Racor filters which is nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.