What else causes high eot/ect delta? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What else causes high eot/ect delta?

a couple months ago I did studs and gaskets. I did a vc9 flush deleted the egr and replaced the oil cooler at the same time. I installed my insight cst a couple days later and noticed at 70 mph I could get about 15-18 degree delta. I decided to flush again, and again, and again, and again, etc. didnt help so I changed the oil cooler again thinking I may have plugged it up doing the flushes. It helped got it down to 10-12 degrees diff. Now that its warming up again Im starting to see higher delta. today it was 74 out and at 70 mph after about 15 mins I am seeing 16 degrees. keep in mind I'm not even towing. What else could be going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what are the temps?

the thermostat could be bad, but then again if the oil cooler wasnt clogged your oil temps should still be within spec.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzjim View Post
a couple months ago I did studs and gaskets. I did a vc9 flush deleted the egr and replaced the oil cooler at the same time. I installed my insight cst a couple days later and noticed at 70 mph I could get about 15-18 degree delta. I decided to flush again, and again, and again, and again, etc. didnt help so I changed the oil cooler again thinking I may have plugged it up doing the flushes. It helped got it down to 10-12 degrees diff. Now that its warming up again Im starting to see higher delta. today it was 74 out and at 70 mph after about 15 mins I am seeing 16 degrees. keep in mind I'm not even towing. What else could be going on?
You have all these numbers but what are the readings EOT ??? ECT ??? these need to be taken going about 60 on flat ground the set the cruise then after about 2 min take your readings yes they are high but it could be something different.
2 stroker
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

My ect is 190-192, eot is 206-208. I did replace my stat when I did my original flush while it was out and then I replaced it again a couple weeks ago just to rule it out. Im not sure where to go from here.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 AM

There is one other part that I am still curious about when it comes to the oil temperature. Inside the oil filter cover there are 3 valves. One is the drain valve which opens up when you remove the oil filter. The other 2 are in part of the same assembly. One valve allows the oil into the housing from the oil cooler and the other spring loaded valve is the oil cooler bypass valve. I've flow tested this valve but haven't done any real practice tests. IN THEORY if this valve hangs open or opens prematurely uncooled oil could enter the filter housing bypassing the oil cooler completely. No one has been able to determine a separate part number for this item so replacement is costly.

In the situation you are in, you may want to "tinker" with this valve or spring a little to see if you get a reduction in oil temperatures. Be careful though, because it's a relief valve keeping high pressure from compromising the oil side of the oil cooler so don't go too crazy.

The other thing you can try is take off the cover on the oil cooler housing which flows into the EGR cooler (or bypass tube), the one with the 2 screws then gently backflush the oil cooler directly. There's another member here who has had temporary relief when doing that.

Out of curiosity, do you have a coolant filter AND what coolant did you use? (nevermind, I just re-read your signature)

Now the good news for you. You don't have an EGR cooler so the 15 degree differential isn't a big deal so you can relax. Keep your oil temperatures reasonable (and I don't completely know what that is, so let's pick the number 235) and you're good. It would be great to see some actual data from manipulating that spring though!

Last edited by nylyon; 04-08-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 AM
information regurgitator

When your truck is cold, and before starting your truck, what do your ECT/EOT sensors read?
To be more specific, are you seeing a difference between them before starting the truck? Do they both read close to ambient temps?
If not, It could be as easy as a bad sensor.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Another possibility might be your water pump. Others with similar issues have found that as a cause.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
When your truck is cold, and before starting your truck, what do your ECT/EOT sensors read?
To be more specific, are you seeing a difference between them before starting the truck? Do they both read close to ambient temps?
If not, It could be as easy as a bad sensor.
oil temp and coolant temps are the same when cold. I thought of that too.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Another possibility might be your water pump. Others with similar issues have found that as a cause.
I thought about that possibility too, but if my water pump was bad it seems like my coolant temp would be high not my oil. Am I wrong about this?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.