FICM voltage question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM voltage question

when my truck is warmed up the FICM voltage constantly change from between 39-49 volts, what would cause this? As for cold starts I'm checking this in the morning so I will have more information that. also would this cause the little big of blue smoke on cold start and if I let it set at work for say 3-4 hrs then go to run it I have to let it warm up for a few or I can't step on it with out sputtering and blue smoke?

Edit: also I notice my injectors click alot quiter than the injectors in a friends 04, could this also be connected to the ficm or is this a injector stiction issue that revx could help because my cold starts can be rough under 30*F

Edit two: I thought I should add some more information the truck is a 05, I have had the truck about 3k miles now and right after I got it I switched to Rotella T6, change the fuel filters, and put a stock intake on it.

Last edited by U235a4; 04-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Its bad news to the injectors of the FICM drops below 45 volts... it should be at 48v at all times.

Low voltage will cause harm to the injectors, if theyre bad from low voltage it could cause blue smoke.

The buzzing, I believe has to do with the strategy, mine is louder than a friend of mines 06 but I have a different strategy than he does. This wont have effect on stiction on cold starts

Injector stiction comes from the type of oil you're using usually, dino oils create lots of build up on the spool valves, using thin weighted synthetic oils work wonders on these trucks, and yes rev x would help without doubt, but stiction will come back if you go back to dino oils.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get your FICM fixed. Anything below 45 volts at any time is no good. Quieter inj clicking in my truck (predominantly when cold) told me that i need to check my ficm voltage. And when i did, it was junk.

Stiction?

The only stiction ive seen in 6.0 injectors is in the plunger and barrel (fuel side). The oil side.. Have yet to see an injector with "stiction" in the spool valves, Yet.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM

I would do more research, as there are thousands that suffer from spool valve stiction... search Rev X
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 AM

ok today cold the ficm voltage was between 22.5 and 28volts and slowly went up as the truck warmed up. could tearing the thing apart and soldering the known loose joints fix this issue or is it just screwed.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 AM

That depends on what plan B is. If plan B is to contact Swamps, check their policies first as they, at least used to, have a policy that if a solder attempt was made, there was additional charge. If you're good with that, or plan B is to buy used, eBay, or new then soldering is a good idea to try as there's been many successes with that.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would send it to Swamps for the 58v upgrade. The components in the OEM FICM are barely rated to handle the job and have no head room. Swamps updates the components and build a better FICM for less money that the OEM Ford rebuilt.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 AM

I've been meaning to create a post but this one seems like a good thread to jump into. I updated my CTS and now am showing the FICM V and mine moves back and forth between 47.0 - 47.5 - 48.0. I've never seen anything other than those three. I have a remote start so I am not in the truck when it starts up cold. I keep meaning to start it with the key one time but then I forget.

Sounds perfect yes?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 AM

If I do a swamps do I still have to get it flashed at ford or could i just get a unit from a junk yard?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you get swamps to rebuild yours to a 58v it won't change the programming unless you order it with PHP's FICM tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.