Recomendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recomendations

Hello guys I am due for my first oil change I have 85k on it I know to only run factory filters (i only run factory filters on all my cars) the question is what oil do you guys suggest I'm getting diff suggestions but looking for first hand info, and I have also wondering with my truck being a 04 does it have a external trans filter also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8wkd View Post
Hello guys I am due for my first oil change I have 85k on it I know to only run factory filters (i only run factory filters on all my cars) the question is what oil do you guys suggest I'm getting diff suggestions but looking for first hand info, and I have also wondering with my truck being a 04 does it have a external trans filter also
I am running Amsoil but a lot of guys think it is a high dollar oil but so is my motor so that being said i would go with Rotella T6 5w40 and the 04 has a external trans filter up front next to the raditator on the right side.
Motorcraft transmission filter for all 2003 to 2007 F-Series and 2004 to 2007 E-Series 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel applications. This is the external filter that goes inside the external aluminum filter housing. Part number is FT-145. The in-pan filter, the fluid and the o-ring for the housing is also listed on this web site. Shipping is via FedEx Ground Home Delivery based on your zip code and will show the amount in checkout. USPS AirMail is available for customers outside of the continental US.

2003-2007 F-Series Trucks with 6.0 diesel
2004-2007 E-Series Vans with 6.0 diesel
Motorcraft transmission filter for Ford Lincoln Mercury cars and truck
2 stroker
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Use a full synthetic 5w40. I would suggest you get the Racor filters as they manufacture them for Ford and are much cheaper.

dieselfiltersonline.com is a great source for all your filter needs.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 AM

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
Old 04-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Almost any guy you talk to will tell you to use a different oil, choose one that is easy for you to get your hands on that is reputible, and get a quality filter. Change it when you are supposed to and it will be fine. I personally run amzoil and there are some definate advantages to synthetics the main reasons i run it is the extended drain intervals and the cold weather starts. if neither one of those are an issue for you, quality conventional oil like rotella, delvac, or valvoline blue will be fine.

Last edited by CowboyCody; 04-08-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
Almost any guy you talk to will tell you to use a different oil, choose one that is easy for you to get your hands on that is reputible, and get a quality filter. Change it when you are supposed to and it will be fine. I personally run amzoil and there are some definate advantages to synthetics the main reasons i run it is the extended drain intervals and the cold weather starts. if neither one of those are an issue for you, quality conventional oil like rotella, delvac, or valvoline blue will be fine.
Not the best advice I have seen on this board. Quality conventional oil leads to injector stiction. And just about everybody knows you can't run extended oil change intervals with a 6.0. The high pressure oil system that fires the injectors shears the oil like crazy and it is just worn out in about 6k miles. And yes I'm talking about Amsoil. We had a couple Amsoil vendors that are sponsors here that kept talking about Amsoil being shear stable and I called them out on it every time I saw it. When I proved it wouldn't do extended drain intervals with a Used Oil Analysis Report they got on the line with Amsoil's R&D guy. They asked what was up and showed him the UOA report and the answer was "yeah, we know. We're working on it." I haven't seen a post from either one of them since.

5K-6k is the change interval with a synthetic. Conventional oils break down much faster.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Not the best advice I have seen on this board. Quality conventional oil leads to injector stiction. And just about everybody knows you can't run extended oil change intervals with a 6.0. The high pressure oil system that fires the injectors shears the oil like crazy and it is just worn out in about 6k miles. And yes I'm talking about Amsoil. We had a couple Amsoil vendors that are sponsors here that kept talking about Amsoil being shear stable and I called them out on it every time I saw it. When I proved it wouldn't do extended drain intervals with a Used Oil Analysis Report they got on the line with Amsoil's R&D guy. They asked what was up and showed him the UOA report and the answer was "yeah, we know. We're working on it." I haven't seen a post from either one of them since.

5K-6k is the change interval with a synthetic. Conventional oils break down much faster.
^^^ ^^^
Solid advice there! I am running the oil I posted the link above and it works great. I still will not run it past 5K. It's just not worth it.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM

i wasnt saying you can do extended drains on a 6.0 i have a 7.3 and i do and thats one of the reasons i run it, but i would say if it meets the specs in the owners manual for most people it would be fine, as long as you change it like you should. isnt that what the specs are for? although i must admit im not an expert and i dont know a lot about the 6.0's so you should probly listen to someone with 1st hand experience! i am not aware of the oil analysis reports, should i be worried in my 7.3?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
i wasnt saying you can do extended drains on a 6.0 i have a 7.3 and i do and thats one of the reasons i run it, but i would say if it meets the specs in the owners manual for most people it would be fine, as long as you change it like you should. isnt that what the specs are for? although i must admit im not an expert and i dont know a lot about the 6.0's so you should probly listen to someone with 1st hand experience! i am not aware of the oil analysis reports, should i be worried in my 7.3?
Your 7.3 also runs a HEUI injection system and suffers from the same shearing as the 6.0. If you are running your oil past 6k miles without having an analysis done on it you are heading for trouble. You can get free oil analysis test kits from Blackstone Labs to send your oil sample in and it costs about $35 for analysis. By doing periodic oil analysis you can do a base line and trend analysis to see if everything is healthy. It will pick up accelerated bearing wear, fuel dilution either by fuel or antifreeze etc., and give you the current status of the oil such as viscosity and usable additive left in the oil.

Bottom line is you can not run the 7.3 or the 6.0 on extended oil change intervals in spite of what you read in ads.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM

interesting, now i guess i have something else to research i may be in trouble already though because the guy i bought the truck from as already been using amzoil for the last 50,000 miles i always thought it would actually be better for the high pressure oil system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.