Hey guys, I need some of your expertise ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys, I need some of your expertise !

Hey guys, I need some advice... I'm somewhat new to the Diesel scene, I have an 04 F250 and I use it to haul across the country.

I just bought it a few months ago as i had an 03 that was stolen last year. anyway it had 300,000 KM on it when i bought it but i got a pretty good deal so thats why i did. paid 10,000 CAD for it. I figured it was due for head gaskets and sure enough i blew them lol

I also blew my trans trying to tow it to the dealer when it broke down, anyway the dealer put a FQR trans in it(6,000) and now they are going to do my head gaskets... I already know to do the EGR delete and ARP head studs with it. total for this job is going to cost me around 13 - 15 grand. Is this money well spent in correcting the faults of the early powerstrokes or is there something else i should do or just get rid of the truck ?

Keep in mind the truck is my money making tool and when its all said and done i will have 23 grand into an 04 with a brand new tranny and all the engine work done as well as all new injectors. alot of people have said just to scrap the truck... but i love my ford and as long as i can stay major issue free for a couple years it will pay itself off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think as long as its a quality shop, you should be good to go

Make sure they replace the oil cooler too!!!!

Have you checked with a trans builder to see what it would cost to beef up and rebuild the trans you have? If you haul with it, you might as well beef that up too, while you're beefing the engine . The 5R100 is a great tranny, don't get me wrong, but.....
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I looked into having the trans done but the guy I wanted couldnt get me a trans until the end of the month and i couldnt wait that long. my plan now is prolly just to upgrade the flywheel and tourque converter and put a shift kit in.

With the oil cooler, is it just an OEM replacement thats needed because they didnt say it was faulty.

also I have a bully dog tune on it, and i had an Intake and 4" exhaust on my old one... I still have the tune on my new one and plan on putting a 4'' downpipe and just a dump out the side on the new one... but are there any other upgrades that will help me with fuel milelage and reliabilty without sacrificing power ?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That should be good enough. Like I said, that's a tough tranny!

Yeah its OEM. They will clog and take out your EGR cooler, then HG's . 300 bucks for the rebuild kit

Personally, I like a custom tune for my truck, rather than a canned tune like the BD . Increasing mpg is a toss up, some gain from certain mods, and some don't . Do some searching and testing is all I can say. You're driving a 7500+ pound truck, so great mileage is hard to come by IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.