Turbo Problem...New Descripton of Symptoms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Turbo Problem...New Descripton of Symptoms

I have posted on here the other day about this apparent turbo problem...Here is an update and more detailed description of what is going on...So here's the deal. Last weekend my truck started acting weird. Had a little of what felt like a miss at about 70 mph around 2000 Rpm. However, no ck engine light. The next day I noticed the turbo would lag badly. I cleaned the EGR valve and that didn't really help. I assumed the vanes were sticking and took her out on the interstate and let her rip. This seemed to clear it up for a little while. On monday, after the temp warmed up outside, I began to get nothing from the turbo except when I held my foot in it at at around 3000 it would turn loose and boost on up. The turbo seemed not to be spinning at all. Again...Truck running fine otherwise...Guages ok and no ck engine light! I took it to the local shop which specializes in the 6.0 on tue. Was cold here on tue morning and it ran fine while I was taking it over there. They drove it for over an hour and it ran fine...Was able to get a low boost code 1 time while running it, but otherwise ran perfect. I picked it up yesterday and it ran fine on the way back to work...again the temp outside was in the 50's. After work when 75 outside it starts doing the same thing again. It is like the turbo is dead and will eventually break free and boost. When this is going on, I can not hear it at idle like I usually can. I have been told that the bearligs may be trying to seize. The thing that puzzles me is what the air temp may have to do with this situation. Thanks in advance! Truck is 05 - 6.0 no mods 172K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

having very similar issues and my truck has very similar miles. mine is not temprature dependant subscribing to see wtf is up with it because i gotta get mine fixed
Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
having very similar issues and my truck has very similar miles. mine is not temprature dependant subscribing to see wtf is up with it because i gotta get mine fixed
ME too! I gotta take off work tomorrow to do side work and try to get enough cash to prolly replace this !#$#$ turbo! I'm sure somebody will be along to shed some light on this! I don't mind having to fix it, I am not going to keep throwing 65 bucks for people to drive it and put it on a computer to tell me that its fine!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There aren't actually "bearings" inside these turbos. The turbine rides on a slight amount of oil called journal bearings and they do go bad. I just upgraded to the PowerMax turbo after my journal bearings went out on my stocker. They sell a rebuild kit specifically to remedy this kind of problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 AM

If that is what is gone out in mine, will that cause the turbo to hang up and then release? Also, with something this seriuos, wouldn't I be getting some kind of ck engine light or code?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Slacker

No, not likely. The PCM can only command the turbo to do something; there isn't a feedback loop from the turbo back to the PCM to confirm that the vanes are at xx% of duty cycle. Having said that, it does monitor boost pressure, so that the PCM can adjust fueling and timing based on amount of boost.

It COULD cause this kind of an issue, but you will want to pull your turbo for sure. It sounds more like sticking vanes and either scenario requires you to pull your turbo. It isn't difficult but it is a bit tedious.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can take a couple hours of your time and clean the turbo.
Diesel Technician Society
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
You can take a couple hours of your time and clean the turbo.
Diesel Technician Society
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I don't really want to tackle this! I am afraid I will miss something important and make it worse.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Slacker

You'll be fine. If I can do it then ANYBODY can do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

is the powermax a good upgrade vs the stocker? does it have the same issues that the stock turbo has (sticking vanes, blowing seals, etc)?

if its all around better im thinking about upgrading next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.