FICM Knowledge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM
NOT a Democrat

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
FICM Knowledge

For those of you who really know about our 6.0 FICM....

1. What are the traits of a failing FICM?
2. Do they slowly fail?
OR
3. Do they just crap the bed?

I am trying to explain this to someone and I dont think I have the knowlege to do so.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They usually fail over time. The classic symptoms are rough cold starts with the motor running rough and having no power till it warms up and then seems to run fine. If it's cold out it will smoke on cold starts until it warms up too. As it gets worse the truck will not run as smoothly and lack the power it should have.

If continued operation occurs with this low voltage condition it has been known to take out the injectors too.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From my experience and "digging" The cause of failur in my Personal FICM was due to batteries that were junk, and my insistance on not buying new ones. With low voltage being supplied to the FICM, the DC-DC convertors/transformers in the FICM have a really really hard time putting out 48V, especially on a cold start. However when everything got warmed up and the alternator was charging, the DC-DC board could output the specified voltage.

Amperage is another issue. Predominantly when EOT is cold. As it takes only 5amps to make the injectors do what they need to when the engine is at Operating temp. However, at 0* EOT, you could *Potentially* see 35-40 Amps to the injectors. Thus creating wear and tear on the electronics. And as the DC-DC board degrades, it will output less voltage, which will require more amperage. Its a downward spiral.

I went with the Swamps 58V when I had to fix my FICM, and at the lower EOT temps, The 58v output creates less amperage to do the same work. I expect it to last as long if not longer than my factory FICM.

Other issues like bad connections internally in the FICM will also cause issues with Voltage. Which in turn causes the FICM to eat itself.

Edit: I agree with Everything PGreen said.

Last edited by thecaptin; 04-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine failed over time, set the CEL SEVERAL times and despite the repeated "warnings" I towed my trailer out into a forest in the middle of nowhere and THEN the FICM decided to crap the bed... Oh well. It wasn't as if I hadn't been warned...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My FICM main voltage is 48.5 Volts on startup and then drops down to 35Volts and gradualy increases until the oil temperature approches 150F and then it is 48/48.5 volts for the remainder of of the trips.

Should I rebuild it now or can I trust it as is. The truck works well and the engine runs realy smothly. I can monitor the operation with my scangaugeII that I periodicaly observe anyway.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its up to you. <45 volts = bad according to ford.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My FICM main voltage is 48.5 Volts on startup and then drops down to 35Volts and gradualy increases until the oil temperature approches 150F and then it is 48/48.5 volts for the remainder of of the trips.

Should I rebuild it now or can I trust it as is. The truck works well and the engine runs realy smothly. I can monitor the operation with my scangaugeII that I periodicaly observe anyway.
Get if fixed right now! Mine started doing the same thing and eventually left me stranded. Those are warning signs and since you tow a trailer, you know how horrible it would be to be stranded somewhere without your tow vehicle.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

Get it fixed. The low voltage could take out your injectors along with the FICM. It is cheaper to send the FICM to Swamps and get it upgraded to 58v than to get an OEM FICM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:

Get it fixed now
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gee thanks sure will watch it close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.