Preventative maintenance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Preventative maintenance

Hello All,
New guy here. I have a 2004 6.0L PSD, all stock with 100k miles. I am not having any of the historical issues, yet, with the oil and EGR coolers. But, I would like to be proactive and change them now, before they fail. I called the local dealership for an estimate. They suggested that I bring it in for a diagnostic check to determine if it is showing any signs of pending failure. The charge for this is 1 hour labor at $88 plus tax. I was told that they suggest to go ahead and change out the studs while doing the other work and just be done with it. While this is probably good advice, I really don't want to open up the block unnecessarily. My thought is to replace the oil and EGR coolers only, since the engine is stock and has shown no signs of doom, I just want to make sure that I am ahead of the 8 ball. I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks,
Roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
The Silent Service

They want to slam you with a head stud job, which ain't cheep. Normally looking at 28-30 hours of labor charged on that particular matter, and typically the cab is taken off. I would be finding another shop.

You are trying to get ahead of the issue, here's what I'd recommend. Get another oil cooler (OEM or the Ford Rebuild Kit) and EGR cooler solution of your choice (Bullet Proof Diesel, or any of the many deletes). And get all your gaskets and things on order. Also get yourself a monitor like the Edge Insight (CS/CTS) which will give you a lot of information for the cost of the unit, and read up on how to use it in the meantime. The other thing is get everything together to swap to a Silicate Free ELC (Restore- flushes silicates, VC-9- flushes the corosion, and the distilled water and ELC). When you get your monitor in, and check the difference between EOT/ECT (greater than 15*) you'll know weather you've blown the head gaskets and need to do that job.

Don't let the shop strong arm you into doing the studs. Yes, its a nice to have for peace of mind, but unless you plan on pushing performance you probably don't need to do that. If, you keep your EOT/ECT temps within range, and swap coolant. I think the studs are a little over emphasized on Forums. That being said, if you do head gaskets do not let they use another set of Ford OEM TTY head bolts, or you'll be going back and doing it all over again.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Save the $88 and put it towards a good set of gauges. You very well might not have any issues. A friend of mine just baught an 06 BONE STOCK. Hasnt even had a fuel additive put it. 225,000 miles. Never been in for service and when gauges were put on, 190 ECT 190-196 EOT.

So first check to see if you have an issue. If you dont, clean up your coolant (filter and ELC if you can). Change your oil. Also, if you can, ditch your EGR cooler.

Like stated above...dont let them strong arm you. THE WILL tell you something is wrong. Figure it out yourself, its way cheaper!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Best money I ever spent was on the Edge Insight. Totally worth it to monitor my ECT and EOT. The older version you can pick up fairly cheap as well and if you get the EGT probe you can have 4 gauges in one.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhick8160 View Post
Best money I ever spent was on the Edge Insight. Totally worth it to monitor my ECT and EOT. The older version you can pick up fairly cheap as well and if you get the EGT probe you can have 4 gauges in one.
Yes! I have the Insight and it tells me everything I need. The only other thing I WISH I could see is FICM Volts. Besides that, its all there!

They are DIRT cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.