Rev-x and FPR spring upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rev-x and FPR spring upgrade

Wall of Text warning!!!!

I wanted to share my experiences with these two products and hopefully add to the info available here in the org...

A little back ground... I have an 04.5 F250 CC KR with 129,000 miles... last spring I swapped the oil cooler and deleted the EGR and cleaned the turbo(stuck bad)... the truck ran great all summer and fall until it got cold (by cold I mean cold in Georgia, teens at most)... so I started plugging the truck in at night with a timer to get it warm enough to have heat when I left for work in the am... every morning the truck ran great... but, after sitting at work all day with highs in the 30's and 40's, I had some pretty bad cold idling issues so to kinda crutch it, I would go out about 15 minutes before time to leave and warm it up... it was always very grumpy, the truck started fine but would miss and skip and smoke lightly...

As spring approached, the temps during the day warmed up and I quit going out early and starting the truck as the enigne temps stayed in the 60's-70's... however, the bad cold idling issues remained even with engine temps in the 80's... I stopped by a buddies shop and he scanned the truck and told me I had a cylinder #7 contribution code...damn it... I jumped onto the interwebnets and started searching... very depressing, it needs injectors I said... crap... 2 grand, damn it... oh well, suck it up and press on I said... wifey pissed...

Then I learned of a product called Rev-x... I ordered, poured it into my fresh 15/40 dino oil and prayed... well... the stuff just plain works... cold idle is perfect, engine is quieter, and I think it runs smoother(subjective of course)... and so far, no more injector codes...
If it lasts, I'm gonna use it for at least every other OCI... 70 bucks 2 times a year beats the heck out of 2 grand at least until I have a real failure... wifey is pleased...

Now the FPR kit... I don't have a gauge for fuel pressure... but mine was low, how do I know you ask?... it's like a different truck, more low end, more mid range, more power everywhere... hopefully, I caught the pressure issue before much damage was done... it runs freakin great now... better than ever... I think that if you have a PS, you need this kit, especially if you have some miles on it... just do it... it works!

Other than the EGR delete, the FPR and Rev-x have been, to me, the best things I could have done for the truck to help it to run better... I'm blown away by the improvement... it's the best 140 bucks I could have spent on the truck bar none...

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to hopefully add something to the org since I've learned so much reading here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just ordered my FPR kit and 6.4 banjo bolts on Monday . All I hear about Rev-X is that its one badass product. I told my buddy to add some to his truck after he had some no start problems and I found out that he had 7600 miles on the oil change I did on it after the EGR delete and new oil cooler . All he uses the truck for is pulling loads of trash shingles to the dump

He changed the oil and wallah, it starts right up!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds good. May have to try a bottle next oil change. Too bad im not enjoying all the stuff I just got installed 2 weeks ago. My trucks been at the body shop for 1 and a half weeks. The bottom of my doors the paint just peeled right off , so had to get it fixed before the rust started. Hopefully I can pick it up today. Dont get the wife pissed
Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1er View Post
Then I learned of a product called Rev-x... I ordered, poured it into my fresh 15/40 dino oil and prayed... well... the stuff just plain works... cold idle is perfect, engine is quieter, and I think it runs smoother(subjective of course)... and so far, no more injector codes...
If it lasts, I'm gonna use it for at least every other OCI... 70 bucks 2 times a year beats the heck out of 2 grand at least until I have a real failure... wifey is pleased...
Try a synthetic oil. 15W40 for the summer, and when the temps drop next year, try a 5w40 full synthetic. Your truck will love it.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Change that oil to synthetic and you'll be even more amazed!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

I ran the T5 10/30 over the winter which I think masked the stiction somewhat... when I went to 15/40 again, bad juju, we had a cold snap, truck ran like crap... I was gonna go back to T5 but every place here was sold out so I just went back with delo 15/40... the oil had about 500 miles on it when I added the rev-x... major improvement...

and I do believe in synth oils... both the vettes run it as do the ski's but I can not swallow a hundred just for oil... just for the truck... then filters... hell the truck holds more than the cars and ski's combined... (sulk)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You know, i cant help but get annoyed when people complain about the price of spending 100+ on an oil change with synthetics.

You own a 6.0 thats just how it is, that dino oil will cause injector harm over time as far as im concerned. You were willing to shell out the money to change the FPR spring to get better fuel pressure and keep the injectors happy, you shelled out the money for rev x for hopes of curing stiction and keeping the injectors healthy...

Synthetic oil falls into that same category... your truck will thank you, but thats just it. Its your truck

on the other hand, im glad everything has worked out for you
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

I understand... but "I" just can't see doing it for 25-30 bucks a gallon... if it works for you then good on you... and from reading here it works for alot of people... I had been using T5 synth blended oil until this change... every store here was out of stock... so I bought 15/40... BFD... it'll go back to T5 next time... hopefully that will be less annoying to you... :jest:
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You can get Valvoline or Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic for $16 a gallon from O'Reilly's. BTW, the T5 costs $15 or $16 a gallon now.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

yup... I wish I would have stocked up on T5 when Wally world had it @ 11...

Thanks for the tip, I have a buddy that works at Oreilly and completely forgot to see if he could get me some at his cost... I need some for one of the vettes now, thanks for reminding me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.