Powerstroke Newbie Introduction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke Newbie Introduction

As the title says. I am a total newbie to the powerstroke engines. I am an over the road truck driver and have been for almost 7 years. As far as a personal truck I have never owned a diesel. Since that part is out of the way I want to say I know my way around tools. We use to race stock cars and I have build quite a few small blocks. I also worked part time for a mechanic doing everything from oil changes to restoration.

I just bought a 2005 F-250 SD with the 6.0L PSD, 5 speed auto, Crew Cab. When I got the truck it had 129217 miles on it and had be driven by a 60 year old man who used it to pull a camper. I think I got it for a steal but that is just me. Walked away with it for $16500.00.

I am getting ready to do a full service and want to know some idea's from you all. I live in north missouri and don't pull heavy loads very often (Other than the associational cummins :-) ) I am thinking of using Rotella T6 oil, but I am not sure if I should buy motorcraft oil filters or Racor filters. I am also wanting to change the fluid in the trans since it has never been done but don't know if I want to pay the dealership $165 for a trans flush or just change the filters and fluid. Also I have read that some people say only to use the motorcraft fluid and others say you can use other brands. Also is it better to use the motorcraft fuel filters or the racor. I want to save money if I can but I don't want it to cost me more in the long run. I am also looking at draining and refilling the diff's. What would you recommend for gear oil?

I am also wanting to do some simple mods to help get more HP and MPG. I bought a Bully Dog PMT from a friend and love it. When I got the truck the exhaust had been routed to dump into a 5" tip in front of the rear tire and all I can see under the truck is a square looking muffler or cat. Not sure which it is. I am thinking of doing a 4" from turbo back and running it into some 6" stacks. I've been looking at the EGR delete kits but there seem to be tons to pick from and they all very in price. Whats the best kit? I am going to be doing the mod saturday of cutting behind the grill to give the filter a fresh shot of air. I think its called the Zoodad. What other mods can I do that will not break the bank?

Thanks in advance.

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Racor and Motorcraft are the same thing, Racor makes the Motorcraft filters. Only use one of those two though when it comes to filters. The T6 is a good choice in oil theres a lot of people that run it on here and like it. Im running T5 and thinking about switching. As for gear oils Im running Amsoil in my diffs tcase and trans. Another fluid you should flush and swap is the coolant and get rid of the Ford Gold and get you some CAT ELC and maybe coolant filter is a good idea too. Not really sure about the egr deletes Im pretty sure most of them are the same though.

Oh yeah, welcome! Enjoy your new truck!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
The Silent Service

Howdy, and welcome to Powerstroke.org.

My best recommendation, is get some coffee and a notepad, and start going through the 6.0L section. Plenty of information and advise, and if ya have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Welcome you will love this truck and the site! Were do you live in missouri? Im in Cape Girardeau
Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I have done alot of reading on this site and a couple others. I love my truck already. I hope this weekend I will be able to take some notes an ideas from here and get them into action.

I forgot to add that I was going to do a flush on the cooling system. I have quite the list of things to do to the truck just to get it up too where I think it should me matinence wise.

I'm up here is a small town called Meadville, MO. I'm just over 5 hrs from cape.

Again thank you all,

Justin
Meadville, MO

2005 F-250 6.0L PowerStroke
Bully Dog PMT
Rest Stock For Now
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you really love your truck, get rid of the Bully Dog programer. Your trans will thank you for it. Sure it's a power adder, but it's not the safest for the 6.0 and Torqueshift. Read up on the forums about the SCT.

And if you do decide to go with the SCT, your gonna need to have the PCM reflashed because when you remove the Bully Dog it leaves a footprint in the PCM that screws up the SCT.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM

I can't see switching from the bully dog. I got a great price on it and my buddy ran it for 3 years with no issue. I think the tranny problems with the BD was on the old firmware. I have all my tunes set to smooth shift and it shifts like normal. Just can see spending $1200 on a touch screen SCT.

Justin
Meadville, MO

2005 F-250 6.0L PowerStroke
Bully Dog PMT
Rest Stock For Now
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You dont have to spend $1200, I got my SCT X3(even though I havent got to use it yet) on ebay for $250 and you can usually get tunes for about $100. Seriously SCT is the only way to go and everyone else will say the same.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Ok thanks fox hunt. Guess ebay makes me leary of buying electronics. I'll give it a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.