Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

58K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  pizza pig 
#1 ·
So i've been trying to do my research and I havent really been able to come up with much. Do these 05+ trucks only have one sensor? My wrench light has been coming on here and there and i've been using my friends Auto Engenuity to pull the wrench light soft codes and its for the TPS. The other day while driving i was going up a hill and all power was lost, my accelerator was not working. I shut the truck off and turned it back on and was good to go.

I did read somewhere that there are 3 TPS sensors and if one sensor was bad it would throw the wrench, if two were bad the pedal would act finicky. Is this true?

I'd like to know so I dont eventually get stuck with a trailer attached working.

There are three different sensors on tousley parts which leads me to believe what i read is true.

Thanks

#6 ·
all three sensors are in 1 TPS sensor. it has seperate circuits to this sensor. so the TPS sensor will have 6 pins(not sure on pin count) there won't be three seperate sensors. Just three sensors inside one plastic housing hope that makes sense. They do it this way just so the ecm can keep on eye on things 1 goes from low voltage to high, the other goes from high to low and the last one i forget how the voltage goes lol.

#12 · (Edited)
Okay that makes sense except 05+ trucks dont have throttle bodies, correct me if i'm wrong

- The wrench light comes on intermittently

- 4 times the pedal quit working while I was driving (this only happened once the light was already triggered)

Most of the time the light just comes on and its fine, but the fact it keeps coming on and the chance of the pedal quits working is there I need to get this resolved.

Would the Pedal sensor cause this to happen or does it sound more like the TPS... I realize they all work in sync, but I had read that if it were one that went bad just the light would come on, if two of the 3 were bad then the pedal would quit working. Is this true or false?

#13 ·
its a safety feature built in so the truck will just idle( we dont wanna be toyotas). I dont think these trucks have TPS sensors (they do not have a throttle plate) the TPS sensor actually looks at the throttle plate angle. and compares it to what the ECM has demanded. I believe the diesels only have APPS accelarator pedal position sensor. I believe they have a pedal update for the 05 and newer, i know there is a new pedal design for the 06. Try to get the code

#20 ·
yes, the wiring is not an issue and im not messing with it, i didnt even try to fix it. The pedal completely stopped working when my brother was driving it and it just would work, it was dead completely. I replaced the pedal assembly, the new pedal is a night and day difference much better throttle response, my truck shifts better than it did, better pedal feel.

Thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.