Things to do while the cab is off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Things to do while the cab is off

I'm doing a cab-off stud job next week. I'm deleting the EGR cooler which obviously needs to be done. I was going to replace all the problem areas with updated OEM parts, but how necessary are some of these?

Replace oil cooler (don't see why my ECT and EOT delta is around 10*)

updated stand pipes and dummy plugs?

turbo drain tube??

updated fuel pressure regulator?

im doing the HPOP upgrade for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anytime you're that far into the engine, you should knock out the oil cooler. 10* is most of the way toward replacing it. If you don't what to blow all the money on a replacement cooler, Ford does offer a rebuild kit.

Updated stand pipes and dummy plugs are good for reliability, with the '05 knock out the new STC fitting on the HPOP.

Turbo drain tube, may have already been updated on the '05s, so I'd check into that.

The updated Fuel Pressure spring is important, the injectors are sensitive to low fuel pressure.

May go without saying, if you are raising the cab, I would advise you do studs and new gaskets. Get the heads checked at a machine shop as well. It would be foolish to get all that done, and not do the studs.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oil cooler should be fine but not a bad idea to replace it anyway. I would get you some Restore and Restore Plus along with a good ELC coolant with an EC-1 rating and do a complete flush. Doing this will keep your oil cooler from becoming restricted and causing head gasket issues down the road. And yes, even if you delete the EGR cooler and stud the engine you can still blow headgaskets.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can get the rebuild kit which is all you really need for $200 from Tousley Ford Parts. It's silly to do $1000-$1500 worth of labor and not replace a known problem part that's $200 with a new one. Then switch your coolant out to ELC if you haven't already and you can forget about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Anytime you're that far into the engine, you should knock out the oil cooler. 10* is most of the way toward replacing it. If you don't what to blow all the money on a replacement cooler, Ford does offer a rebuild kit.

Updated stand pipes and dummy plugs are good for reliability, with the '05 knock out the new STC fitting on the HPOP.

Turbo drain tube, may have already been updated on the '05s, so I'd check into that.

The updated Fuel Pressure spring is important, the injectors are sensitive to low fuel pressure.

May go without saying, if you are raising the cab, I would advise you do studs and new gaskets. Get the heads checked at a machine shop as well. It would be foolish to get all that done, and not do the studs.
It says studs in the 1st sentence of his post
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am doing studs and gaskets, thats why im taking the cab off

as for the fuel pressure regulator, do i need the whole kit or just the spring. i was looking at a full rebuild kit.

im getting mixed signals on the oil cooler. its awfully pricey. if its loaded with gunk can you just clean out the stock one when its removed with some solvent?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyguy68 View Post

as for the fuel pressure regulator, do i need the whole kit or just the spring. i was looking at a full rebuild kit.

im getting mixed signals on the oil cooler. its awfully pricey. if its loaded with gunk can you just clean out the stock one when its removed with some solvent?
A lot cheaper to do it now than later if it decides to go south
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyguy68 View Post

No you can't. In the grand scheme of things $200 is awfully pricey? Hell dooing head gaskets and studs it's more like a $2500-$3000 labor job. Do it right. Do it once.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would like to add that if your going to get into the HPOP area for the STC fitting (great idea), it would be a good idea to have the IPR screen kit ready in case you see some junk on the screen. Don't think about just popping it off, cleaning it and sticking it back on. It is a "one use" item. The instructions even tell you that if you put it on crooked the first time, to buy another kit and not chance putting it on again. If the top flimsy plastic gets deformed, it can come off the IPR at the most inconvenient time for you, possibly taking your HPOP with it.

There is also an updated oil supply line for the turbo, its a hard line, no more flex joint.

If you going for horsepower mods sometime in the future, installing a regulated return would be easier with the caboff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.