someones got to have an answer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
someones got to have an answer

my buddies egr cooler has failed on him and he cant afford the delete kit or a new cooler so im trying to help him out and was wondering...if i weld up the exhaust port to the cooler and weld up the end of the cooler where it connects to the intake will that basically delete it all together...im talking about leaving it fully intact just welded up and replacing the egr to oil cooler hose so everything looks stock...basically the egr cooler will act as a resivoirand coolant will still be able to flow through the oil cooler....please chime in guys, tryin to save the man some money...its an 04 f250....mines fully deleted but he dont have that option right now and he needs the rig for work....ill be waiting for responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A failed egr cooler means it is ruptured and leaking coolant into the intake. Welding the ends of the exhaust flow through will do nothing to help that. The egr cooler needs to be replace. You can get a decent egr delete off eBay for $150. If your friend can't afford that he is going to be in deep do-do and probably shouldn't have a diesel.

He is in deep do-do because if the egr cooler failed he also needs to replace the oil cooler. This isn't an option. It is a clogged oil cooler that takes out the egr cooler. If you can do all the work your friend is looking at about $500 in parts alone to fix his truck. If he takes it to a shop figure on $1500-$2000.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If his EGR cooler has failed, so has his oil cooler.
The oil cooler plugs up, and that is what causes the EGR to fail, so that must be replaced.
Yes, you could do that, weld up both ends. Be sure it is water/airtight welds (not picking on your skills, I don't know what they are). You may want to pull the passenger side up-pipe and remove that "scoop" in there while your at it. I hear a freeze plug is close to the size of the plug you need for that egr cooler.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

My egr cooler is sealed up but it wasn't leaking internally... you have to make sure your welds will take the coolant pressure and that there are no pinhole leaks... if there are, it can still put coolant in the cylinders... it's not a great way to do it but if it's sealed then it's sealed... he needs to save up for a delete kit... I wouldn't trust it completely... and if the egr cooler failed then the oil cooler is probably toast as well...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I'm gonna break down and fix the guys truck, I'll find an oil cooler on eBay and just see what he wants me to do about the egr cooler. I hate this because I'm a mechanic here in Memphis so I have to drag all my tools from work to do the job...guess you always find out who your friends are haha. Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
information regurgitator

Dont go to fleecebay!!!
You can get the oil cooler from a Ford dealer for $213.84 plus shipping. Then you KNOW it was a Ford part. CLICK ME to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.