Outside air temp really affects your ECT and EOT Delta... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outside air temp really affects your ECT and EOT Delta...

Just took the Ex on vacation and all my temps have been fine. Delta hovering around 8 degrees. Well.. I got into the warmer Florida weather and my delta started fluctuating from 8-15 degrees. It would never hold steady at 15 degrees, but non-the-less, it got there. The most I saw was EOT of 216 and ECT of 201. I wasnt towing anything, but had 5 adults, 2 kids, baggage and full tank of fuel. Should I look into rebuilding the oil cooler and flushing the old coolant out? The prev owner replaced the oil cooler and EGR cooler with OEM Ford stuff about 2 years ago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canby, Oregon
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would be interested to know the answer to this as well because I live in Willamette Valley and the temperature here has been in the mid 40's. Friday mother nature decided to throw us a 70 degree day and my temps went up a bit. Typically my eot has been 192 and ect was 188. When the temperature outside went up I was running an eot of 198 and ect of 192. Granted i was crusing at 70 mph but kind of curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interested as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
Just took the Ex on vacation and all my temps have been fine. Delta hovering around 8 degrees. Well.. I got into the warmer Florida weather and my delta started fluctuating from 8-15 degrees. It would never hold steady at 15 degrees, but non-the-less, it got there. The most I saw was EOT of 216 and ECT of 201. I wasnt towing anything, but had 5 adults, 2 kids, baggage and full tank of fuel. Should I look into rebuilding the oil cooler and flushing the old coolant out? The prev owner replaced the oil cooler and EGR cooler with OEM Ford stuff about 2 years ago..

Well, you were loaded pretty good. I'm not sure you are having an issue. Might want to think about when you get home and flush your system and change coolant. Take it for a spin with just you in it. See how it reads.

Here is a good link to read when you have a chance.

Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96stroker19 View Post
I would be interested to know the answer to this as well because I live in Willamette Valley and the temperature here has been in the mid 40's. Friday mother nature decided to throw us a 70 degree day and my temps went up a bit. Typically my eot has been 192 and ect was 188. When the temperature outside went up I was running an eot of 198 and ect of 192. Granted i was crusing at 70 mph but kind of curious to know.
Yours looks fine. 6* spread?

Have a fun summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This may help or may not.

I live in West Texas. Before this week and throughout the winter my ECT and EOT would be around 192 and 196. They never got much more spread than that.

These past two days its been 100 degrees and the the CS shows consistent temps of 210 and 215 for the ECT and EOT.

So I would say the outside temp does not increase the delta T but just increases the actual temp values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,983
Thanks: 4
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane3507 View Post
This may help or may not.

I live in West Texas. Before this week and throughout the winter my ECT and EOT would be around 192 and 196. They never got much more spread than that.

These past two days its been 100 degrees and the the CS shows consistent temps of 210 and 215 for the ECT and EOT.

So I would say the outside temp does not increase the delta T but just increases the actual temp values.

Wow, my truck never runs that hot even with it 100* out. Is your fan kicking on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Wow, my truck never runs that hot even with it 100* out. Is your fan kicking on?

I thought that was too damn hot. I hadn't had my CS in in the summer time though so I was sure. How would I got about checking that my fan was kicking on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,983
Thanks: 4
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You'll hear it. That sucker is loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
You'll hear it. That sucker is loud!
Ha, so you could hear hit while driving 70 MPH down the highway?

If so, I don't think I have ever heard it. BTW, I didn't mention I was driving into a 50 MPH wind. I may take it to the dealer today and have them check the fan out. I think my warranty is up this month sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors