coolant flush complete! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant flush complete!

I got my coolant flush completed yesterday and just wanted to say a few things. My truck had green coolant in it from previous owner or dealer. I started by draining the green stuff out by loosing pet**** and pulling block drain on drivers side, what a shower I got. I also pulled thermostat and filled with tap water and ran for 5 min. and drained again. Then I stuck a hose in bottle and opened drain and ran for 15 min. the water was clear. Then I added a half a gallon of restore and went for a drive for 90 min. or so, then drained and put the hose back in the bottle and ran truck until clear. Then added restore plus and filled with tap water and went for the 90 min drive again and drained. Then filled with distilled water and ran for five min. on high idle, I did this five times and water was clear. Took about 6 hrs total but I never did see anything bad come out, I guess it had been flushed before when some one put the green stuff in . Installed new thermostat and sinister coolant filter.
I monitored the temps before but thermostat was bad and the coolant never got above 170 and never seen a diff. of more than 12 degrees. I am going to keep my I own temps now that the truck is getting up to temp. I just wanted to share my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Premium Member

Mine had green in it also when I got it. I was glad for it becouse I knew there had been some maintanance done. Green is better than gold in my opinion. What's your temp differential now?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have only put about 5 miles on truck so no real test yet but was 3 degrees so far.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have been on a couple of 20 mile drives now and temps have been ok. The most I have seen is eleven degrees but not a whole lot of level ground around here.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

flush

So, I am planning on doing this on Sat. I just noticed that the radiator does not have a cap on it. Did you add all of your fluids via the reservoir?

There has got to be a better way... I am just a simple paramedic so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve on my part. That, or I am just a bit slow..

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Don't you worry about it

the paint on your truck is heavenly because you must have clay barred the he!! out of it
Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohodependent View Post
So, I am planning on doing this on Sat. I just noticed that the radiator does not have a cap on it. Did you add all of your fluids via the reservoir?

There has got to be a better way... I am just a simple paramedic so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve on my part. That, or I am just a bit slow..

Thanks,

Andrew
Yes through the degas bottle(reservoir). It is pretty easy it just takes time to do the flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
the paint on your truck is heavenly because you must have clay barred the he!! out of it
Thanks, I try to keep it clean.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Funny you posted this, because this same thing happened to me as well. I had some of the green crap in there, not sure what or how that happened.
When i started the flush i was terrified at what was going to come out, i used restore first and then restore +, and followed the flushing guidelines religiously. Removed t-stat and all. Every time i flushed after each of the chemicals the worst i ever saw was milky water with foam. Getting the foam out of the system was a bear, but the flush water never once was dark. I switched to Shell Ultra ELC concentrate which was purchased from the local international dealer.

Didn't notice a tremendous difference in temps, as they are consistently ECT 188-192's and EOT 192-194 normal around town driving. The temps imediately close together at idle. Ambient temps are in the 50's-70's.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine never looked dirty but on my last drain I caught some of the water in a jug and let it sit a few days and there was a little sand that settled. I guess I will change my coolant filter in 500 miles or so and see what its in it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Did you have any crap in your De-gas bottle? I pulled mine off the other day to do the CCV mod and tried to clean it out to no avail. It's kind of a dark film stuck on the bottom of the bottle. Anyone else have this and know a way (other than order a new one from Tousley Ford) to get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.