Electric fan for more power and mpg - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Electric fan for more power and mpg

The stock fan on our trucks just screams power loss. On the foxbody mustang the first thing i used to take off was the engine driven fan and i would replace it with a taurus fan. Made the throttle response so much better.

I was reading an article in diesel power about electric fans:

"16. It takes between 10 and 70 hp to drive the cooling fan, so cooling system maintenance can have a significant effect on fuel economy.

DP Diesel Power Note:
Replacing the stock clutch fan with a Flex-a-lite twin electric fan setup is said to recover 27 hp and increase fuel mileage by 6%."

Has anyone put on a E-Fan? I would like to make that my next mod. Not only would it free up power and mpg but make the front of the engine easier to get at for belt changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subscribing. Interested in how this is going to turn out.......
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
So I am one of those fox body guys. I would say your power loss wouldnt be as significant as stated above. Also, I dont think it would be worth the effort or time on our trucks.

Just my thoughts, no Dyno 6.0 data for you on this.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

I was also thinking about this. I always replace the fans on my stangs with electric. I can't see how there'd be any benefit to have a heavy as fan hanging on the front of a diesel.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 AM

I am getting the dual fan shroud from a friend soon. I am very anxious to get it and see how it does. I will do a write up in a month or 2 because I still have to get fans and the computer that controls them, after I get the shroud..
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys,
thought i would put some light on some of your questions. Ill start with the horsepower gains from it. Your not only gaining horse power from removing the belt driven fans, but your also going to see gains in the fact that the fan will be pulling air through the intercooler which will cool off the air which as most of you know will condense the air even more. One of the biggest things when looking for electric fans for diesels is one that push's enough air due to the fact that the radiator and intercooler on a diesel is larger than the average setup. I personally dont know how effective it is, however i have ordered an electric fan setup for my truck and i will do a writeup on it and see if I can get the local college to let me use the dyno since I was a student there anyways here is what im going to use for my setup. Flex-a-Lite 272 Ford Super Duty Diesel Fan with Variable Speed

If anyone has any questions Just let me know
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM

awesome! thanks! I will be waiting for that wright up
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Subscribing
Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Doesn't the PCM control our fans and disconnecting it wouldn't cause a problem???
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The PCM does. however disconnecting it shouldnt do anything, like throw codes or interfere with anything with the truck that would be vital. Its only a signal from the ecu when a Targeted area of tempterature is hit. The only thing its going to do is send a signal to the fan that isnt there. the PCM probably wont even notice a difference. And with bigger fans that are electric you could set the thermostat which would keep the engine cooler and would probably never reach the targeted temp to activate the stock fan anyways. Not 100% sure but ill look into it and include it in my writeup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electric fan 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.