Got a 2005 6.0 PSD and now a bunch of questions to go with it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a 2005 6.0 PSD and now a bunch of questions to go with it?

Well this is my 2nd post so here goes. I just bought a 2005 F250 SD crew cab, with a 6.0 PSD. The truck has 60K on the motor and it looks like the average miles/hr on the clock is 48, miles/engine hours. I talked to the original owner and it spent about 30K miles pulling a 5th wheel and the rest commuting. I plan on using Rotella T6 10w30 every 3000 miles or 6 months and flushing the gold coolant ASAP! I replaced both fuel filters. The truck runs great, the transfluid was just flushed and 2 new batteries were installed. I plan on running straight pipe out the back and maybe a cooler delete and no other mods ( no tuner ) . I cleaned the egr and found no signs of cooler leakage. I reinstalled the egr valve and left it disconnected.( no check engine light) The differential between the oil and coolant temp is 6 deg so I guess the oil cooler is OK? (ray-tec temp gun) I am running power service fuel conditioner every tank. So far I love this truck!!! I plan on pulling a 4000 LB bumper pull camper 8 times a year and some small hauling etc.. other wise I will be driving it 10 miles a day round trip.

Now I am getting afraid of all the horror stories I hear about cooler failure and head gasket problems, FICM issues etc.. What is the best oil to prevent injector stichtion?
Do I need to do a cooler delete? Can you really do an EGR cooler delete without pulling the intake? What is this CAT ELC coolant and were can I get it? Do I need to be concerned about my short trip to work everyday as far as the oil goes? How long can I idle before wet stacking is a concern? How many mile will a 6.0 and the automatic transmission last if properly cared for? What are the basics to make this a very reliable truck? I bought it so I could see this country and I donít want my truck/camper to be on a hook. So thatís should cover all the NOOB questions until camping season arrives. My Silverado 1500 just wouldnít pull the camper very well at all. HELLO PSD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd hate to be "that" guy but that is alot of question marks that can be answered with a quick search. All of those quesitons have been asked over and over. There are a few things that I can throw in. If you're checking your temp differences with a temp gun that is a bit of a scewed way of doing it. You should check your temp diff. while driving, preferably towing. Ford's new flash throws a wrench light if the diff. exceeds 15 degrees. If you have more than that you should replace your oil cooler, are you somewhat handy with a wrench? Most head gasket failures are caused by heavy tunes, blown EGR coolers (caused by clogged oil coolers), and/or a sticking overboosting turbo. If you keep these from happening you're off to a good start on keeping your headgaskets in check. You have alot of reading to do about others with the same concerns. To give you a quick bit of relief so you can sleep tonight, the 6.0 is a fantastic engine. You'll find that is the overwhelming majority of the opinion around here. I wouldn't entertain a cummins swap for a second on my truck. The 6.0 is there to stay.

One biggie on your model year truck, if you still have the original snap-to-connect fitting on the high pressure oil pump fitting you should look into replacing that with the newer one-piece part asap. This is one thing that WILL leave you on the side of the road if it blows apart. I wouldn't put off any trips over it but I would put it near the top of your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.