Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Finally got to do SOMETHING to my truck!

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  MasterOfTheHat 
#1 ·
I had some free time Sunday afternoon after a pretty crappy Saturday, so I decided to add switches for the high-idle mod and the heated mirrors.
:woot::woot::woot:

I actually used this page for the heated mirrors switch. (Btw, make sure you choose the wire that is DARK green with a purple tracer as opposed to the one that is just green with a purple tracer. I put the switch inline on the wrong circuit and figured out I could switch my radio on and off! :doh:)

Sure, they're technically really simple mods, but at least I finally got to personalize my rig beyond the NRA sticker in the back window!

Here's a pic, but my phone doesn't have a flash, so I'll have to try and get some better ones. Switches are these.

Next up is fixing the overhead console. I pulled it off without any problems; got to the circuit board with no problems; found the loose resistor with no problems, (it had actually come completely loose on one side); went to solder it, and that's when I ran into problems! :doh: I tried to grab it with a pair of spring loaded tweezers so I could move it around and get it stuck again, and yep, you guessed it! The tweezers didn't catch good and the resistor went flying across the garage! That whole afternoon, (Saturday), was a comedy of errors... Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can find a 62 ohm resistor to replace it with and then solder it into place. Hopefully that will fix the thing! :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah, yes, the old 'flying-resistor'! :hehe: I know it well. I've been working with electronic circuit boards for 30 years. Once they when to the 'chip' style resistors, it is easy to make 'em fly.

Mods look good - You should be able to find that value resistor easily enough. Might wanna get more than one.....just in case. :nod:

#4 ·
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of getting 2 or 3, just in case!

TurboMustang370 said:
I would like to do the heated mirror switch too but I'm looking to use one of the stock upfitter switches.
No upfitter switches in the '04, so had to roll my own...

#3 ·
I would like to do the heated mirror switch too but I'm looking to use one of the stock upfitter switches.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Ok, time for me to show how stupid I can be:

Why do you need a heated mirror switch? Do they all come with power mirrors? Is it that they are always on and you installed a switch to shut them off? Every vehicle I have ever had that came with heated mirrors had a switch to turn them on. (mine has power mirrors, but no heat)

Thans, and sorry for the stupid Q's. :tard:

#15 ·
amdriven2liv said:
And they look Great. Nice and clean.

When I was doing mine, I also added lights for the heated seats. Can't see the light on the switch while driving. I am always turning those suckers on!
Thanks for the compliment! I actually thought about using the round, flush-mounting ones like you have, but just prefer the elongated rocker... I think it turned out pretty good! I have a couple of other things I want to add later on, too, so I'll just keep expanding towards the steering wheel. Scary as crap to take that 1/2" drill bit to your dash, though... :)

And yeah, I saw your mod for the heated seats indicator. It looks really good, and I'd love to have a reason to do that to mine! But even though my rig is a lariat, no heated seats... My wife has them in her CR-V and I really, really missed them this winter! :(

amdriven2liv said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMustang370
Go to the thread He "MasterOfTheHat" posted:

I installed a heated mirror switch - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

and start at about page 3 and on. There is a good discussion on using the upfitters for the heated mirrors.

Enjoy!

(I think they were using one of the 10 amp. switches)
Sorry, Turbo... I didn't think about pointing that out when I replied to you originally... Several guys have done it, from what little bit I read, but I didn't pay much attention since it didn't apply to me.

ToMang07 said:
I was thinking about using the rubberized "Roof Melt" style coils.... the kind that northerners use to melt snow ice off around the edge or the roof/gutters.

I was thinking, pop the mirror out, epoxy the coils on the back of the mirror, run the elecrtical to the AIH relay, (Delete the AIH) and work up a switch from there... But I'm not an electrician. I bet it could be done... I just don't have the knowledge.
Wow! getting really innovative! It might work, but getting it from 120VAC to 12VDC may be tricky. I'm sure they pull some serious amperage...

#16 ·
Someone could get a couple 12v hair dryers and duct tape them to the mirror brackets. (Please no one take that personally) J/K!

Wish I was feeling better, I'd go make a picture of that! I saw a thread last year where a guy strapped a gas powered leaf blower to the grill of His truck to use as "Ram Air" system, was funny as heck!

#17 ·
Throw in some stick-on vents, a hood scoop, spoiler, and some Wal-Mart rims and you've got yourself a truck there! (I'm assuming it was a Dodge? :hehe:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.