Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What would you do?

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  straycat 
#1 ·
If you had a choice would you?

Let someone drive your brand new 6.0 about 800 miles to deliver it - cost $1,000?

Or pay nearly twice and have it delivered via lowboy?

Can not find out too much info on just what is Ford's recommendations for the 'break in" period...

#3 ·
800 Miles... I'm sure you could fly in and drive it home for WAY less then 1000 bucks.... Not to worry about the break in as they are essentially broken in within seconds of the first time they were started at the factory... I wouldn't be trying to see how good my 0 - 60 times were but just take a nice leisurely drive home...

Ken....

#17 ·
:agree: :agree:

#5 ·
I agree with all of the above, I flew out and took delivery of my 07 and had a nice 2hr drive home playing with all the gizmos. hell i don't even let my wife drive my truck lol...

#6 ·
Save the money and fly. Plus you'll have the peace of mind knowing that the truck won't get messed up while getting delivered to you.

#7 ·
i think i seen in the manual about a break in period about 500-1000 miles, not sure but was in front half of book.

#8 ·
NO ONE drives my rig......but I'm funny that way. :D
She had like 8 miles on her when I bought her. I didn't even test drive her - I knew I wanted her and test drove and put through the paces the one next to her. :)
I'd fly out.

#9 ·
I'd fly out and get it too. As far as a break in... 500 to 1000 miles easy driving, not all highway but city driving, stop and go etc... Then ASAP put a good sized load on it and take a nice long trip. Big enough of a load to make it work a bit.

#10 ·
Fly out and get it. 800 miles sounds like a nice drive. 2 tanks of gas and a plane ticket is cheaper for sure.

#12 ·
Heck if I worked for a transport company I'd carry my SCT with me so I could REALLY drive it. :lol:

Just kidding man - it'll be fine I'm sure..........but................ :p

#13 ·
I agree on flying out also. Another plus is if you see something wrong with it, you're right there, and can have it dealt with before you take it.

#14 ·
Hey if your not up to the drive buy me a plane ticket and give me fuel money I will go drive your truck to you. I promise it will come to you in one piece. But I can not promise you that I will not find out what it is capable of doing.

#16 ·
Tnks all -the decision was made for me. We had contacted a hauler and the price quoted, $1,950 to lowboy the rv sounded fair; pickup the unit in Elkhart, IN travel to N.C. and return to base in Indiana. Plane tickets from N.C to IN were in the $500 dollar range and the rental car was another $100, so actual cost would have been in the $1300 or so range. The major downside was that we would not be able to take the route home, about 900 miles that we really wanted to but traveling back the northern way would have been nice also.
I called the manufacturer to let them know but as luck would have it the vehicle had left about two hours earlier. I am taking some comfort in knowing that one of the company drivers, rather than a sub contractor is doing the transport but I sure would have liked to put those first thousand miles on it myself.
Looking forward to taking delivery, got 13 days off to listen to the beast chug along and celebrate our 25th-too bad that that we'll be 75 -240 payments- when/if its paid off...........

#18 ·
My votes for going to get it, but that dosn't mater now hahaha.

Gord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.