Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Delete or upgraded EGR cooler

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Woodsracer 
#1 ·
Not sure which to do. I see Bullet PRoof diesel saying their upgraged EGR Cooler will eliminate the chances of getting coolant into the intake. Anyone done this? I just bought my 2005 X and I dont want to dump money into headstuds when I can try to prevent it. Any input is greatly appreciated. There is a local diesel tuner and he says he has lots of experience with the 6.0's and says I shouldnt replace anything until it goes bad. Well... once it goes bad I will have a junk motor, right???

#2 ·
I am going with the MKM Customs upgraded EGR cooler. I would delete, but I am having a dealership do the install since they will be installing new headgaskets, studs, etc. Additionally, with the upgraded EGR cooler, I don't have to worry about trying to find a location that does not test emissions on the truck when I have to get it inspected (when I move back to the DFW area of Texas).

#3 ·
BPD cooler is built better than the stocker to prevent cooler failure, but that does no good if the oil cooler blocks up. You still need to have gauges to monitor the ECT and EOT to keep an eye on the oil cooler.a coolant flush and switching out to a ELC coolant will stop silicate drop out. A coolant filter will prevent casting sand from blocking the oil cooler also.

The EGR cooler delete kits are good if you live in a state were they don't really bother with the emissions, but it is still illegal by federal law. So this is a decision you need to make.
Your local mechanic sounds like if it ain't broke don't fix it, but that really isn't the case with the 6.0. Preventing the EGR cooler from failing, is less expensive that having it fail and also causing the headgaskets to fail.

Which ever method you choose, it's a good idea to have gauges to monitor all the vitals.

#4 ·
I live in Indiana and we dont have emissions testing down here.. So go with Delete and oil cooler filter?? What is a good, low cost tuner that will recognize that the EGR has been deleted?

#5 ·
Then go with a delete and coolant filter. But if you don't know what the ECT and EOT temps are, you maybe have wasted your efforts. If the delta in temp between the EOT and ECT are greater than 15* while under normal driving, then your oil cooler is/getting blocked up. With a blocked up oil cooler, the coolant isn't cooling the oil which can cause the plastic assembly in the oil filter to melt and cause major issues.

Before you go and do the delete, you really need to find out what those temps are, then take it from there. Because if your gonna do the delete, for about another 30 min of work, you can have the oil cooler replaced.

The SCT programmer will allow you to turn off the CEL that may come with the deleted EGR cooler kit.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Ok, let me know if you guys think this is the right step. I am gonna get an Edge Evolution so I can monitor the temps. Edge told me that the Ex already has sensors for coolant and oil temps so the Evolution will pickup on that.. Right? Then I will decide if I need to rebuild the cooler and do the delete... Hoping I got this right...

#12 ·
I got the Edge installed and my delta is at most 6 degrees between EOT and ECT ! ! Woo hoo and I was talking to previous owner and he was telling me how he got a thicker walled EGR valve or something so I said "you mean EGR cooler?" and he said "yes" ! ! ! ! So I dont believe I have to replace or delete the cooler because he already has.. SWEET ! ! Now on to ball joints this weekend... UGH! !!!!

#13 ·
Sounds like the prior owner didn't know what he got. Have him send me some money and I'll send him a thicker walled EGR cooler. :doh:

Sorry, bud, but there isn't such a thing. It sounds like your oil cooler and EGR cooler are working just fine right now based on your temp difference.

Good luck on your ball joints... They suck! :doh:

#14 ·
Lemme tell ya... the ball joints SUCKED ! ! ! Big job but I got it done after 10 hours.. and boy were they WORE OUT ! !
But Hey... now I have a very nice ride that I dont have to worry about.. Sweetness

#15 ·
Good deal! It's always nice when you are done and it makes a HUGE difference. It really SUCKS the big one when you are stuck on something and cursing at it trying to get it apart!!! :doh: Which ball joints did you end up going with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.