EGR Delete kit.. should I install? Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete kit.. should I install? Why?

I have a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 and I am hearing that I should install the EGR delete kit. Something to do with preventing coolant from getting back into the intake and stretching my head studs. What are the negatives, if any, of installing a delete kit? Are there programmers out there that will recognize a deleted EGR so no engine lights come on? Recommendations??

Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Rebuild the oil cooler
delete the egr
flush coolant, refill with ELC
coolant filter

why?

Ford's gold coolant contains silicates, these silicates turn to goo when under high EGT's and from lack of maintenance ... this goo along with the casting sands from the block (which the coolant filter is for) clogs the oil cooler. This clogging causes big problems as its upstream from the egr cooler. When the oil cooler clogs coolant cant get through to the egr cooler to cool the exhaust gasses. This causes rupturing of the egr cooler. When this occurs it allows coolant to enter into the intake and combustion chamber. When a diesel fires off of high compression adding coolant into that is a big no no, this is usually what lifts the heads and blows the head gaskets.

I know people with 200k miles on stock bolts... tuned and egr deletes, zero issues. This is no solution however a great stepping stone to those with known good gaskets.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
Rebuild the oil cooler
delete the egr
flush coolant, refill with ELC
coolant filter

why?

Ford's gold coolant contains silicates, these silicates turn to goo when under high EGT's and from lack of maintenance ... this goo along with the casting sands from the block (which the coolant filter is for) clogs the oil cooler. This clogging causes big problems as its upstream from the egr cooler. When the oil cooler clogs coolant cant get through to the egr cooler to cool the exhaust gasses. This causes rupturing of the egr cooler. When this occurs it allows coolant to enter into the intake and combustion chamber. When a diesel fires off of high compression adding coolant into that is a big no no, this is usually what lifts the heads and blows the head gaskets.

I know people with 200k miles on stock bolts... tuned and egr deletes, zero issues. This is no solution however a great stepping stone to those with known good gaskets.

Do I have to rebuild the oil cooler? I think I am definitely going to delete the EGR and then put a tuner on it. Any recommendations for a delete kit and tuner that will ignore the fact that the EGR is going and not throw up the check engine light? I have seen a delete kits on EGRDelete.com for $177 and I have seen them for $500... Why the difference and if I can get an up-pipe with the kit, is that the best option? I bought this expecting it to last me a lifetime so I wanna get ahead of the game...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
Do I have to rebuild the oil cooler? I think I am definitely going to delete the EGR and then put a tuner on it. Any recommendations for a delete kit and tuner that will ignore the fact that the EGR is going and not throw up the check engine light? I have seen a delete kits on EGRDelete.com for $177 and I have seen them for $500... Why the difference and if I can get an up-pipe with the kit, is that the best option? I bought this expecting it to last me a lifetime so I wanna get ahead of the game...
Do you have a way to monitor ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) and EOT (Engine Oil Temp)? When the delta of the EOT and ECT get 15* apart from each other, under normal driving conditions, then it's a good chance that the oil cooler is/getting blocked. You will need gauges first inorder to determine if you have to replace the oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.