Are you an ostrich with your head in the sand? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you an ostrich with your head in the sand?

I was, but I was ready and planning on my egr cooler failing. I really wanted to know how long it was gonna take for the egr cooler and what I would see on my edge cs. Well, it happened way sooner than I thought. I had gotten the CS for christmas and was seeing the spread between the EOT/ECT around 10* at 75mph. I was hoping that flushing with VC-9 and Restore and adding the the diesel site coolant filter would help but it ended up increasing the EOT/ECT delta to 13* - 14*. As time went on, mile after mile the temp difference kept on climbing and before I knew it, I was looking at 17* - 20* spread driving down highway and I knew it was time to change everything.

I have not ever wrenched on a 6.0 but I wasnt too worried about it. Countless numbers of guys have said how simple and uncomplicated the design of the this engine is and they were all right. This engine is simple compared to other engines I've worked on and there is adequate room in the engine compartment to do all of this.

I followed the instructions to pull the manifold
and turbo ._turbo_07_60.pdf
Oil Cooler Removal.pdf
and they were very accurate and easy to follow. Really there were no special tools needed but I would not have done this w/o my 1/4" cordless impact wrench. Here is my parts list that I got

Oil Cooler - 3c3z-6a642-ca
STC Fitting - 4c3z-9b246-f
Turbo Feed tube - 3c3z-9t516-a
Turbo Drain tube - 6c3z-9t515-a
Intake Gasket kit - 3c3z-9433-aa (includes the blue hose)
FPR spring kit - 3c3z-9t517-ag

All of this was just under $700 from Brighton Ford in Brighton, Colorado. Ask for Shawn Smith. I might have gotten this for $50 to $100 cheaper online but he had it all in stock and I like to suport my community.

Also I got...

Carb cleaner
Degreaser
8" metal saw blade

Unrelated, I bought a starter cause the spring on mine was jacked and somtimes the gear would not disengauge from the flywheel.

When I got it apart, I did indeed have a coolant leak into the EGR cooler.
I decided since I live in Colorado and it is well on its way to being the next California, to go with the Bullet Proof EGR Cooler instead of deleting it completely. However, I am going to restrict the hell out of the EGR system by doing what others have done and weld in a washer. After I cut out the scoop out with the sawzall

I went to the hardware store and got a 1/2" washer that would fit and the one that I found fit perfectly

I used a screwdriver to wedge it in there good before I welded it in.

While I had it all a part, I decided to make my own parts cleaner to get all the gunk out of them

This got the intake manifold pretty dern clean, with some degreaser and a pressure washer. I will have the BPD EGR cooler today sometime and I'll prolly get around to putting it back together on Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited by osue077; 02-24-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wow you have some skills there my friend!! and these are the most detailed pics i've seen of a 6leaker.. nice to see how they look.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like quite the project, but congrats on deciding to do it yourself. Quick question - did you weld up the center of the washer?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 AM

You did a good job my friend!

Nice up-pipe
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Looks like quite the project, but congrats on deciding to do it yourself. Quick question - did you weld up the center of the washer?
Nope, just around the edges of it to the neck of the EGR outlet on up pipe.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea, fedex dude just showed up with my package! Too bad I don't have enought time to go put it in before work tonight!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Keep us updated. Keep the pics coming too
Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Nice write up. I like your DIY hot tank. I'm gonna have to utilize that idea some day for something. I too did the EGR block off. Except I welded a freeze plug in the up pipe and had someone weld the EGR valve for me cause its stainless. Looks good!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I see this causing a CEL for egr flow because of the restriction in the up pipe. I suspect you are going to need a tune to turn the light off. I would just weld the thing shut and be done with it. BPD sells a sneaky delete with the cooler already welded up for you.

I applaud your effort to tackle the job yourself and do something different. Good on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.