First tow with 07 F350 6.0, not what I expected - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First tow with 07 F350 6.0, not what I expected

Hello,

So we took our first trip towing our toy hauler from Reno To Pismo Beach.. this is also the first trip towing with the 07 F350 Crew SRW 6.0. The TH was probably loaded around 9500 lbs with water, toys, etc on the way there and less the water on the way back (1000 lbs). It just didn't seem to pull the trailer like I thought it would. Leaving Pismo on the 101 at the big uphill I was down to 45mph, through the Sierra's coming home dropped to 48 to 50 mph.

Just wondering if this seem right? MPG going to Pismo was about 8.5 to 9. On the flats of I-5 north it was to 11mpg. I can only compare this to our old 06 Dodge 5.9 pulling a larger trailer and it was night and day... so it just makes me think there might be something wrong with my truck. Seems to run fine when not towing. Truck is all stock BTW. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

gears???? the dodge had more gear
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is very similar to when I tow my TT with my '04 Excursion 6.0 through the Cascade mountains. I also thought that something was wrong but it seems to run great, just not as much power pulling as I thought.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they slow down on the big hills for sure, i would try an SCT with tow tune, really helps. 10k is a descent trailer. The 5.9 is an exceptional engine.. i think you will enjoy everything else on your 07 is superior...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Something is wrong with your truck. I had similar results towing last year from Baton Rouge LA to OK but I had 21,000 lbs behind me. I could only maintain 50 mph on some 4% grades. My 9,000 lb camper on the other hand, I forget it's back there.
This is with my 2003 6.0 dually F350.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM

I would sell it and buy a 6.4 lol.......No problems pullin mine. Oh wait you wanted to hear good things.....Do some mods to the 6.0 and you will be haullin AZZZ.....
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM

I was only kiddin....dont start flaming me please.... But seriously, a few minor mods and good tuner and you should pull that trailer like nobodies business!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look what I tow with mine. It never slows down on hills up to 6%. Shift to high gear at 55mph. 10000lbs is no load

Your trailer axles might be out off alignment to be that hard on fuel
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's the trailer. I had to have it delivered since I'm in NV and I bought it in CA, they wouldn't let me take delivery in CA. The guy who pulled it over (03 6.0 DRW) said it pulled great and he averaged 15mpg. he had a tuner but that's still all up hill.

Here's a little more info. When in OD on the flats of I-5 turbo was at 10psi, drop a gear and it went to 20psi, another gear 30psi...going up hill... does that sound about normal? Also anytime it hit 20 to 30 psi a loud fan would come on for 5 to 10 seconds then go off and then it would come on again. In OD it never came on.

Our friends were pulling a smaller trailer but loaded pretty good with a 5.3 Chevy and I couldn't keep close to save my life. From everything I have read these trucks can pull so I'll probably take it down and have the codes pulled and see whats up. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_steeler View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's the trailer. I had to have it delivered since I'm in NV and I bought it in CA, they wouldn't let me take delivery in CA. The guy who pulled it over (03 6.0 DRW) said it pulled great and he averaged 15mpg. he had a tuner but that's still all up hill.

Here's a little more info. When in OD on the flats of I-5 turbo was at 10psi, drop a gear and it went to 20psi, another gear 30psi...going up hill... does that sound about normal? Also anytime it hit 20 to 30 psi a loud fan would come on for 5 to 10 seconds then go off and then it would come on again. In OD it never came on.

Our friends were pulling a smaller trailer but loaded pretty good with a 5.3 Chevy and I couldn't keep close to save my life. From everything I have read these trucks can pull so I'll probably take it down and have the codes pulled and see whats up. Thanks
First problem here is if you believe "Mr '03 6.0 15mpg up hill towing 10,000+ lbs" because he's full of it!

That being said, I drive an '06 6.0 SRW and drag around a 33' Fifth wheel Toy Hauler that runs about 13,000 lbs loaded. Truck tows it great. Works hard when on long steep grades but from Southern California to Northern Ca on I-5 it just lugs along in 5th at about 63 getting 10-11mpg. Of course, it'll downshift and dial in some boost for the hills but it gets it done nicely. On the steepest hills I encounter (NOT on major highways...) I may slow down to 45-50 but that's only on really gnarly stuff. Hwy 58 East out of Bakersfield is no easy pull and the truck will do 55-60 up that hill even keeping EGT's in check and not pushing as hard as I could.

My truck has an exhaust and SCT tuner running Innovative's Tow Tune. I have zero complaints on how the truck tows... I use an Edge Insight to monitor temps.

To me, the biggest red flag in your post is not being able to keep up with the 5.3. That shouldn't happen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.