Non-factory warranty, how have they worked for you? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Non-factory warranty, how have they worked for you?

I recently bought a used 2004 F-250, 6.0, CC, LB, FX4. When signing the papers the bank mentioned their recommended warranty company. The warranty is called Elite Plus MBI coverage, and is offered through CARDIF PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY.

Reading through all the legalize, the only exclusions that concern me are coverage for non-lubricated engine parts, and emissions equipment. They have optional coverages you can purchase for extra $$$. One of them is for emissions coverage. It covers everything except catalytic converters, exhaust systems and carburetors?!?.

I am not a lawyer and chances are you aren't either, but do you think that this warranty, with the optional emissions coverage, will cover the common 6.0 blues? I mean injectors, FICM, FICM wiring harness, EGR cooler, oil cooler, HPOP, and the super cool oil leak near my bell housing (that has yet to leave a drop of oil on my driveway).

What has been your experience with factory and non factory warranties? I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. I can add the cost to the end of my loan easily enough, but I may not be able to pay for new injectors or bulletproofing my oil/EGR system if the occasion arises. Also, do these companies perform an inspection of the vehicle when you buy the warranty? If so, any recommendations on how to clean up the oil coming from the bottom of the engine before the inspection? It's not bad yet, but in my experience oil leaks never get any better on their own.

Thank you and happy hauling.

Last edited by BLD; 02-21-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Inspection ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had a warranty on my 01 7.3 through route 66, had steering box, hpop lines and orings, intercooler boots all replaced with no hassle. never an issue with that company. one thing to watch for is what is the max amount of money they will spend to cover your truck. a bunch of them will only cover to about 6k dollars. that wont last long if something bad happens more than once.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like you had a pretty good experience with your warranty. I will have to check into the maximum payout this warranty offers. That may change how I feel about it. I could see 2 trips to the shop costing $6K with this truck.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

I'm on my second aftermarket warranty on this truck. The first one I got thru the dodge dealership where I baught my truck used. $1,000 for that one and it paid for a turbo ($1,500) and a tranny ($3,500). Current warranty, $2,000 and it just paid for my head gasket job ($3,000) and still have 3 1/2 years left on this warranty. I had to pay for the ARP studs myself and some other stuff. So far the aftermarket warranties have paid for themselves several times over. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had mine thruogh mercury. when my hg's went they just refunded my money for the warranty.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Last May I bought a Ford ESP warranty. My truck had less than 80,000 miles on it so I was able to buy the "Extra Care" 4 year/48,000 mile warranty. Search for Ford ESP Warranty and most sites will give you a description of each level of the Ford warranties available. I bought mine from Lombard Ford in Conneticut and I live in Maryland. Since my truck was out of the original warranty I had to pay $150 dollars for an authorized inspector to come out and look the truck over and take him for a test drive to verify certain things on the truck were ok. Oh, and they come to your place of work or home to do the inspection or if you buy from your local Ford dealer you can drop the truck off for the inspection.

Oh, my brother bought the same warranty too. He really price shopped it and knocked about 300 bucks off the price I paid ($2,600 including inspection fee)

I will taking my truck in for a bad trans temp sensor in two weeks. I don't expect any trouble about coverage of the repairs or payment.

Last edited by ponyexpress94; 02-22-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had an issue with them!! They told me that I was S.O.L!! They said that the malfunctions were out of their control,, due to faulty Ford parts.... OF COARSE,,, ISNT THIS WHY WE HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTIES???? THEY ARE A REAL CROCK OF #@^%! I had an EGR failure under warranty,, they would NOT touch it. What good are they,, I was better off NOT buying the extended! Didnt do me a bit of good!!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just jumped in and bought an '06 w/ 43,000 miles on it. I want to get an extended warranty from Ford; what level would most of you recommend (i.e. PremiumCare, ExtraCare, etc)? My main concern is to protect against the cost of the big ticket fixes the 6.0L is known for. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Darren.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I had a warentee on my last truck for a few months.... until something broke and they decided they wouldn't cover it. The said I didn't buy a "commercial" contract....and sence I had a plow they wouldn't cover it. They also said that since the bearing were not lubed, (Ther were sealed bearings) and that they automatically would deny coverage due to "neglect."

I wouldn't waste your money.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They tend to find their own reasons to cover,, or NOT cover an issue!! What they told me on my issue was, "A faulty Ford part failed,, causing a blockage,,, which states in the fine print of the contract,, that we DO NOT cover FAILURE caused by blockage." How the heck was I to know there was a blockage,, let alone a faulty Ford part causing such a problem.. The dealership was quite embarrassed about selling me this crappy warranty. They ended up helping me out by themselves... DONT LIKE IT A BIT!!! I will NOT buy another again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.