Tightening up steering box... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tightening up steering box...

like the title says....I remember seeing a thread about this and was wondering if anyone has tried this? I currently have 1-2 inches of lateral play in the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn. I am only running a frint leveling kit and also running a TGC dual stabilizers kit. My rims and tires are 22in rims with 35in BFG ATs.

So any input from ppl that have tried this method would be a great help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

I just put on 35s and got the steering wheel play as soon a I did that. I have a dual steering stabilzer as well. Im not sure theres gonna be a fix im getting alignment tomorrow. Ill ask the tech. but i didnt have a problem before lift and tire, im curiou did you leave on the factory steering stabilizer?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooringit View Post
I just put on 35s and got the steering wheel play as soon a I did that. I have a dual steering stabilzer as well. Im not sure theres gonna be a fix im getting alignment tomorrow. Ill ask the tech. but i didnt have a problem before lift and tire, im curiou did you leave on the factory steering stabilizer?
Yea I thought it was my tires also but it was doing it with the stockers on aswell. And yea I left the factory stabilizer on but is blown out anyways
Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Subscribing
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM

I did it. There are 2 jam nuts on the top (16 and 18mm I think) and once you break them loose just take a 5.5 or 6mm hex head and give it a twist. Its a pain to reach. I took some side snips and notched a small part of my fan shroud. It helped a lot. The nuts break loose best from wheel well and you have to remove your airfilter box to get the hex in there. An extra set of hands is very helpful to keep the nuts from retightening. I went in small increments and it took me 3 times but it did help.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan30 View Post
I did it. There are 2 jam nuts on the top (16 and 18mm I think) and once you break them loose just take a 5.5 or 6mm hex head and give it a twist. Its a pain to reach. I took some side snips and notched a small part of my fan shroud. It helped a lot. The nuts break loose best from wheel well and you have to remove your airfilter box to get the hex in there. An extra set of hands is very helpful to keep the nuts from retightening. I went in small increments and it took me 3 times but it did help.
So the adjusting bolts are on top of the steering box??? Thats good to know I was thinkning they were on the bottom of the box and I thought I was going to have to pull of my lower radiator hose. Well this is making me really want to try this out but I have ppl telling me that it could possibly really screw up my steering box.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 AM

yes its on top. It didnt mess up mine but like I said small increments. I was afraid of getting it to tight and having it not steer at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

I got this same issue and the Dealer said i needed a stabalizer last year, they even paid for it and installed it which helps when you hit bumps but i still have the slop in the steering. I have been told everything from live with it, to your truck is lifted and its the tires.

I can agree a little with my tires but there not that big and i dont have a lift.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM

A stabilizer will help if yours is bad. I tightened my box because I had visible slop in the sector shaft.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was told that play was from my bushing in the panhard bar/locating arm. Granted there is a very small amount of play if at all there. But I also thought it was in the steering box... Will have to have this checked out as well. thanks for the post, helps out my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.