Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Blackstone phone call- Potassium & RevX.......

14K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  twbhd04 
#1 ·
Well I got a call from Blackstone today about my last oil sample.

Sample details:

Shell T6 5w-40 Synthetic
RevX- 8oz
3400 miles

They said I had about 1000PPM of potassium in the oil, with about 60PPM of sodium. Usually this tells them there is coolant in the oil. She said its not much, they usually see about 20PPM sodium, and about 100PPM potassium.

Doesnt seem to be the case here. She called me back after about 10 min to tell me she looked back into other diesel truck samples, that were submitted with RevX. ALL of them have higher than normal amounts of potassium and sodium. She said if I can send her about 1oz of RevX as a "virgin" sample, they will test it for free. She believes that the RevX has these two minerals in them.

She is sending me two more sample kits. One for RevX, one for my next oil sample. I am VERY curious to see whats in the "mystery bottle" of so called RevX. Let me find out........................

See less See more
#3 ·
Subscribed.

#11 ·
Sound like we should have our trucks eat bananas then!

#12 ·
:hehe::hehe::hehe:

#14 · (Edited)
:popcorn2:

#15 ·
Not that it concerns me cause I don't use Rev-X or have any reason to but are the results of higher than normal potassium levels a good thing or bad? I assume potentially bad thinking that it could possibly hinder/falsly report if you had coolant present in your oil. Just like the myth of poppyseeds failin your whiz quiz when in fact you are a clean person. Lol

#16 ·
#26 ·
I find it interesting that you can skate ingredients on an MSDS by calling it a "trade secret"...... hell, I'm in the oil and gas industry and never heard of that :confused:

#19 ·
From my understanding, the mere presesnce of potassium and sodium isn't a concern but rather an indicator that something else might be going on in your motor. Such as an internal coolant leak (ie blown HG).

My guess is Blackstone saw those numbers in RevX treated oil, and being a relatively unknown product to them, came to the conclusion all these dosed samples they were getting were actually blown HGs. When in reality, they are just starting to see samples come in from guys trying to keep their sticks together a little longer.:doh:

I hope this isn't going where I think some seem to want it. With all the :popcorn2: smileys, I can't help but wonder if their is a contingent waiting to see if RevX is proclaimed as the devil.

#21 ·
I talked to my cousin tonight who is a biologist and works for a MAJOR pharmaceutical company for their R&D dept. I simply asked him what potassium and sodium would be doing in an oil additive. His reply,"those are two ingredients of common detergents. Probably part of the cleaning properties of the additive."

I for one, would like to think, and highly doubt, that Blackstone has multiple oil reports containing RevX, all with high potassium/sodium levels, and all of these samples have blown headgaskets. Seems like the coincidence level is way too high.

Is it possible all of those RevX oil samples have headgasket issues? Yes.
It is likely? Not at all.

I dont, and will never claim RevX to be the devil. I used it and it clearly got rid of my injector stiction. Why? Who knows? Will this next sample I send them help clear the air? Maybe.

#22 ·
Click the MSDS link I posted. It explains the potassium factor

#24 ·
Im not implying that Rev-X is bad. Seems to do the trick in curing injector issues due to them bein sludged up.

I was only curious if since it contains components found in coolant would it create a confusion whether or not a person actually had a potential problem with coolant in their oil. My question came from crazy8s original post stating what the blackstone rep reported to him. I'm not slammin Rev-X or HSS :thumb:

#28 ·
I'm not one of those. I love the stuff. Just an interesting thread, and curious how the results of the analysis come back.
Good to hear! It's easy to think the worst in a thread like this when the popcorn smileys start comin' out.:hehe:

I find it interesting that you can skate ingredients on an MSDS by calling it a "trade secret"...... hell, I'm in the oil and gas industry and never heard of that :confused:
I'm running Rev-X to see if there is any difference in cold weather starts.
I would think that the 56% "trade secret" would show up on the UOA report somewhere .
I mean if only 8% potassium shows up, why not the 56% "secret sauce"?
You guys hit on the reason I can't help but wonder why Blackstone wants a "virgin sample" (as mentioned on crazy's UOA in the other thread).

#29 ·
I really dont think there is anything afoul going on with Rev-X. I would buy into the idea that potassium and sodium are byproducts of its detergent qualities. I suppose the only real concern would be a false positive for HG failure, or vice-versa (not seeing HG failure b/c of Rev-X). Anyway, I think that it is good that Blackstone is doing their investigatory work to make sure that their reports are accurate.

#30 ·
I know my head gaskets are good, I just had them replaced and studded a year ago and haven't actually driven it that much this year. As long as you know that the Rev-X is going to come back like this it is no big deal. It is nothing that is going to hurt anything.

#32 ·
subbed
Jer-1
:popcorn2::drinking4::drinking4::drinking3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.