Choice between the two... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Choice between the two...

Looking at getting a new truck within the next month if all goes to plan. I have narrowed it down to two that are pretty much the same; 06, 6.0, cc, srw, lariat's, 4x4, no mods & pretty much same options, condition, color, etc.

One is a private seller, 100k miles. He said the injectors went out at i think 50k, & the turbo at 75k or so, all done under warranty. I still need to run an oasis on it though.

The other is a dealer, 116k miles, oasis report ran & shows never any issues. It is a couple grand more.

When i get the truck i plan on doing that bulletproof egr cooler (not delete since i wont be able to clear the code) mbrp turbo back exhause & then adding coolant filtration system right away.

My first hunch was the dealer truck is the way to go since it hasnt had any issues. But then someone mentioned that at least on the private seller it has new injectors & turbo & less likely to fail now than the dealers that could when out of warranty. So now i an second guessing myself on which one i should start dealing on. Anyone have other feedback that maybe i havent considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine had oil cooler and injectors replaced at 80k under warranty, I bought it with 120k on it. Didn't hesitate one bit. But it also had the EGR deleted and ARP studs done at the same time. I think you would be alright on either truck honestly. either way though get and edge insight or some type of gauges so you can monitor your EOT and ECT.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM

That is kind of a tough call and both have merits. One consideration is that with the private seller's truck, since it is a couple G less, you have that much more funding towards shoring up the 6.0 weaknesses.

One thing I would be curious about is, what are the build dates on the two? My truck is an '06 with a build date of 10/05. My recollection is that there were still some other improvements Ford/Intl made a little further into the year 2006. Might not be that critical, but food for thought. Another item to check would be the engine hours on each of these beasts. May give a little more insight if there is a significant difference in idle hours/city driving vs. highway miles.

And I know this might sound like buying a car101 advise, but crawl under each and look for evidence of oil / fluid leaks under the engine and transmission, etc., and just general condition of the underside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.