Steering questions...Tired of the damn wander - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Steering questions...Tired of the damn wander

So I just dropped 7k into my engine and feel very confident that I will have no further problems with her.

I only have two other things that I want to conquer with this beast. One is the steering and the other is the ride quality (which I am thinking about the 08 leaf spring conversion).

For now I want to discuss the damn steering on this thing. I am soooo tired of it and I need some advice on where to go from here. I just want to be able to go down the road and not be flung all over when I hit a little bump or sometimes just for no reason.

I purchased the REDHEAD steering gear box thinking that it would help. It did help a little but still did not get rid of the problem.

I also have a loud popping noise that just will not go away. This noise usually happens when I go up or down the driveway curbs or anytime the suspension has to actually flex. The shop that I had install the REDHEAD box said that the noise was coming from the pitman arm nut. They welded a few tabs on the nut to keep it from coming loose, causing my steering to be really bad, but it still makes the popping noise.

So what are my options. Are there any aftermarket kits that will give me regular steering on this thing? I am aware of the hydrolic kits by PSC and stuff but arent those only for making steering EASIER when stopped or off-roading?

Any help would be appreciated. The steering is making my truck NOT FUN to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you have a dual steering stabilizer?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Have you had your front end aligned?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:00 AM

So far I've found the steering on my truck to be just fine IF you have sufficient camber. Replace any worn parts on your front end, get an alignment and make sure they give you 3.5 - 4.0 degrees of camber. That made a world of difference on mine. And FWIW, a dual stabilizer kit is covering up a problem, not fixing it. In my opinion, anyway. Mine is using the stock setup and doing fine. But then I'm only running 35" tires.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 AM

With you on this one .. I have always run 305/70/17's ...I only have 130K almost all higway miles ....Upgraded the steering Stabilizer Shock to the Ranchero brand ...hell I can get a DWI and not even drink !...are the front ends on these things really this prone to wear out ?? I could see it if I did alot of off roading or had HUGE Tires ??
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 AM

I think you should check your ball joints for that pop sound. I also noticed a much better ride with the sulastic spring hangers IF your shocks can handle the extra weight of those large tires. I run them and they made a huge difference on stock tires but when I went to a heavy tire they give a feeling of riding with flat spots if the road isn't silky smooth. The 08 springs may be the better option. For the wandering issue, I replaced everything and had an alignment with very little improvement. I lowered my air pressure to make a few passes and noticed on my ride home my wander was gone. It could be something for you to consider.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
So far I've found the steering on my truck to be just fine IF you have sufficient camber. Replace any worn parts on your front end, get an alignment and make sure they give you 3.5 - 4.0 degrees of camber. That made a world of difference on mine. And FWIW, a dual stabilizer kit is covering up a problem, not fixing it. In my opinion, anyway. Mine is using the stock setup and doing fine. But then I'm only running 35" tires.
You mean castor right? Is that 3.5- 4.0, positive or negative?

I'm taking mine in for an alignment after replacing the pass. side tie rod end, at 47k miles . I also have a Rancho stabilizer waiting to be installed this week too
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmorgan711 View Post
...hell I can get a DWI and not even drink
I feel you on that one, Mine wanders all over the road
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Yeah I think you mean caster, 4* of camber is gonna make your tires wear like chit. You'll look like like your drivin a Chevy

I would definatly get a front end alignment. Thats probably 80% of your issue
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM

I've had this problem with mine since I drove it of the lot in July of 2006. It's been to several places that took my money and didn't help at all. I even put a dual steering stabilizer on it and all it did was lighten my wallet about $200.00. In my opinion, after chasing the problem on mine for the past 5 years, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN AFTERMARKET STABILIZER, at least not until you get the wandering problem figured out. Last coversation I had with the alignment tech and my buddy that has been in the tire business since before he was born was," the tire you are running has a lot to do with it also. Some tires just will not track straight on certain trucks or vehicles." I've seen it first hand on several vehicles I've owned over the years. I would get your steering linkage checked and have your truck alighned first. If your truck is lifted the steering geometry could be off if parts were not installed to correct the steering geometry and the track bar angle. Then make sure your tires are making full contact with the pavement all the way around by properly adjusting air pressure for the way you have it loaded, then I might try playing with the caster as suggested. If that doesn't work it just maybe the tire your running. I'm no expert but I can tell you what has and has not worked for me, and the details of many extensive conversations I've had for the 5 years I've been chasing this problem on mine. My truck has no lift and is stock with an all terrain tire. Be careful about who you talk to about fixing the problem. I can't tell you how many people or businesses I've talked to that told me "Oh, yeah we can fix it bring it down here and we'll take care of you." They took my money and nothing changed, sometimes it was worse. I'm going to try a different tire next, if that doesn't work then I'm gonna ask about a castor adjustment. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.