Storing diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Storing diesel

Hello all, I am getting ready to deploy in the military for six months and wanted to know if I need to do anything to the diesel fuel in my truck for it to be sitting for this long of a period. It is a 06 F250 - and any other tips for storage would be appreciated..Thanks.. KRS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
how long are we talking? i would make sure it has fresh oil, and all the fluids topped off. tire pressure, and whatnot. im sure more will post up on what they think is good!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

i would efiantly make sure the fuel is topped off so you limit teh condensation forming. if you store it in teh long term parking i would cover it and disconnect teh batteries. not sure of what service your in but most offer th long term parking. and will help you with your car when you get back such as a jump or air for your tires. some of the guys here have even taken the air intake out and put somesort of blocker there so birds or squrriels don't build there nest there. good luck while your over there and keep your head up. and thanks for your service. jason
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Put something in or over your exhaust so a rodent can't crawl in it over that long period of time.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
Put an additive in the fule, There are critters living in your tank, in aircraft we used a stuff called prist , i think one of he cetan boosters like power service will do it. Good luck on your trip keep your head up or down which ever way gets you back safe BILL , im retired navy
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM

For the fuel...fill or empty the tank. Drain the water seperator if you live in a freezing area. Your oil...you shouldnt be driving it with the oil too old to matter,but to make it easier to restart fresh oil would be good. Your batteries.The best thing that i use for my two batteries on my boat is a solar trickle charger.Keeping the batteries charged keeps the lead plates from forming a sulfide coating.It also overides any reason for "storing them inside" If you want it ready to go when you return,leave them connected. If you want theft or (borrow) deterrant,take the positive battery terminals off the battery,but still hook up a trickle charge arrangement. Also and mostly dependant upon your climate,insert an oily rag up the tailpipe right after you shut it off.(Far enough that it will blow out on its own if started yet not be tampered with). This reduces the possibility of rusting an exhaust valve that stopped during the exhaust stroke or other internals. Another tip...find two small blocks of wood to place under the windshield wiper arms (not the rubber).That will prevent them from deforming on you. Myself , i would air down the tires(25psi) to relieve stress on the belts and purchase trailer tire storage covers to keep the sun off the tires and the rain off the brake rotors. If you wanna go overboard ,block up the frame to take the load off the springs.If your storing in the sun ,cover the dash vinyl.Easy rust
protection would be to spray wd 40 on the chrome bumpers and around the wheel well areas,(if your storing outside.) You say for six months..hope they dont extend you as they were a few years ago. If you try the things i mentioned ,it will be good for a couple years .
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd try and get a close friend to drive it at least once a week. good luck and be safe!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the info everyone, I appreciate it...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnecsteve View Post
Easy rust
protection would be to spray wd 40 on the chrome bumpers and around the wheel well areas,(if your storing outside.) You say for six months..hope they dont extend you as they were a few years ago. If you try the things i mentioned ,it will be good for a couple years .
For rust protection you could also use baby oil. Through it in a spray bottle and have at it.

Good luck and thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
I found this interesting for the folks who wanna store there diesels... I havent heard ne1 mention this besides me anyway just some food 4 thought Bill

FUEL CONTAMINATION
Another difference with diesel fuel is that it tastes good to certain microbes, especially if there's water in the tank. Certain bacteria can actually thrive inside a diesel fuel tank, forming slime, acids and other creepy stuff that can gum up fuel lines, filters, injection pumps and injectors. Infected fuel often has a "rotten egg" odor, and leaves a black or green coating on the inside of fuel system components. The growth rate of most organisms increases with warmer temperatures, but some can thrive down to freezing temperatures.

To get rid of a bug infestation, the fuel tank needs to be drained and cleaned. A biocide approved for this type of use should also be used to kill the organisms and to prevent their reappearance. The cleaning process should be followed by a fresh tank of fuel treated with a preventative dose of biocide. If the fuel lines and injection pump have also been contaminated, they will also have to be cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.