Ford Parts Dept. has me scratching my head - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Parts Dept. has me scratching my head

I've been trying to figure out the reason why my truck hasn't been running 100%. It still goes good but it just doesn't have the power it used to. Anyway, I hooked up my truck to the AE software on my laptop and started checking anything and everything. I noticed the BARO sensor reads about 31-32psi consistantly. Now from what I've read, that number should be the same as the MAP and EBP sensors KOEO.
Sooo it would seem to me that I should replace the BARO sensor. I call up the Ford dealer near me and ask for the price on one. The guy can't find it in the computer so he goes and asks one of the techs. He comes back and refers me to the MAP sensor. This isn't the best diesel repair shop around so I hang up and call another one who deals with lots of 6.0s. Now I talk to someone at this dealership who tells me that he works on 6.0s all the time and has never heard of a BARO sensor.
Now I'm confused....how can I get a BARO reading on my truck and not have a sensor? I just got home and found a website selling Motorcraft BARO sensors with part numbers and everything. Unfortunately the Ford parts Dept was closed by the time I found this.
Can anyone confirm that I actually DO have a BARO sensor in my truck and possibly give me the location. I believe it is under the dash near the column but even this info didn't help the so-called "tech"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
according to the PCED the baro sensor is located behind the lower steering column finish panel

i don't know if it's there or not, haven't had to replace one ever.......but it is definitely reading different from MAP and EP? units of measurement all the same?

edit-

i just looked on mine. it's definitely there. learn something new every day

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 02-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Well thanks for confirming that it's actually there. Yeah apparently it's not a very common part to replace lol. I just couldn't believe that three different people at two different dealerships had no idea what I was talking about. The guy at the second dealership was a little arrogant about it too telling me how much he works on these trucks. I can't wait to go there in person on Monday and rub his face in it. I'm not even sure if it's even going to help by replacing it, but in my simple mind, if it's out of spec then it's time for a new one. I'll post up an update when I put it in and a part number too in case anyone else needs it. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Every time I start up, I compare MAP, EBP, and Baro. I do it to mainly keep an eye on the EBP. Yours is only the second Baro I have heard of failing.

I would love to see a part number - please post it!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I would love to see a part number - please post it!
x2!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I've only had one baro sensor fail. I remember my parts guy had fun trying to find it in his computer. If you never have to mess with it then you wouldn't know where it is.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM

I was able to find two different Motorcraft BARO sensors on autopartswarehouse.com. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to list the site. I'll take it down if it's a problem. There are a few part numbers and a $30 difference between the two. I'm not sure which one to get because both have the same description. I guess I'll just take all the numbers to Ford and see what they can find. Should be interesting....
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Cant remember but some 6.0 had the baro sensor built into the pcm . cant remember what years though
Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 AM

Update
Before I went out to buy a new Baro sensor, I decided to check one of the trucks at work to see what it was reading. It was also reading 31.75psi. So I'm guessing there is either a bug in the AE software or it is being read in something other than psi. As of right now, I'm just going to assume the sensor is working correctly.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

inches of mercury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.