Studs or just delete and coolant filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Studs or just delete and coolant filter?

As the title implies, I'm trying to decide what to do here...

Would you:

A: EGR delete, coolant flush with ELC and add filter
or
B: A + studs and new oil cooler?

I'm currently running a custom tune with no immediate issues, 135K on the ticker. ECT - EOT are within 6* of each other after changing out the t-stat. I have a bit of cash saved up but am having trouble talking myself into doing the studs right now. What is the likelihood of having a HG issue with the coolant and egr addressed? Have any of you guys experienced a head bolt "stretching" event without first incurring a failed oil cooler or something else of that nature?

I may decide to tackle option A myself but will have to take the truck to a mechanic for B - just don't have that much time to let my DD sit while I educate myself.

Thanks and I appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Im interested an answer to your question too.

If i dont have an issue with my ECT and EOT but im running modified tunes how likely is the headbolts to have a problem.

I dont romp on my truck to much at all just get on her couple times to keep everything working but im concerned with the extra pressure in the engine.

I was runnign an economy tune but got tired of the CEL for no boost every time i started the truck, so i went with the 100HP tune and everything runs fine just a little worried since i got stock everything in the engine.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok, so for me personally, I was only able to afford an egr cooler upgrade (california vehicle), oil cooler, and dieselsite coolant filter + elc. On top of that, I did the work by myself. If I was able to afford studs and all of the above, I would take it to the shop and have it done. So based on budget, I went with option a + the oil cooler, might as well go one step further. We'll see how long it will last, only time will tell.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Same boat here, just bought a 06 f250 4/4 with 88000 miles, it has had no mods or anything and is a real cream puff to be honest, my question is what are some things i can and should do to it to be more efficient and make it as problem free in the future, thinking of at least doing 4 in. exhaust, egr delete, guages, and a sct tuner and run a 60 hp economy tune, any advice on brands or any other mods is greatly appreciated, as i said i dont want to be tearing anything up, thanks guys
Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

If you don't need studs, don't do em yet. I would say option A + oil cooler cause your right there anyway. I would suggest doing the flush before you tear it down so if you do get junk in the oil cooler from the flush, you will be removeing it anyway. Other than that, invest in gauges if you havent already. I wasnt gonna do studs but I didnt have a choice. There was a rust spot in the gasket of all things between cylinders. It was a minor leak but bad enough to cause puking. If its not puking, I would say wait on the studs becouse you may never need them.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys. This is what I was hoping to hear. The oil cooler sounds like a good idea, didn't think about it being convenient when performing the egr delete.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM

anyone got some good links to some info about this, still new to the diesel world and keep hearing about EGR delete, but to be honest not really sure wat that is, or how hard it is to do....ive seen kits go for like 250 so i was thinkin it might be somthing to jump on...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm subscribing to this. I'm in exactly the same boat. About 88K miles on the clock, no problems yet (knock on wood). On one hand, I hate to spend the $$$ on the studs when I don't need them yet. On the other hand, my goal for the truck is longevity and reliability, so I think about going ahead and doing it, just in case.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM

txfireman, how do u like the gearhead tunes on your sct, what tunes do u have, are you running exhaust and egr delete and if so what brand and how do like them, also what kind of mpg are u seeing, thank ya my friend
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 PM

I didn't have a choice, mine were blown bad. My opinion is money, if you can afford it, I would get it done, you guys are running tunes and it doesn't matter if you romp on it or not, you are running higer cylinder pressures. Also if you don't do the studs, the HG's will blow at the worst possible time, so you have some control by doing them when you're able to rather when you have to. But if/when you do, spend the money and make sure they are done right, heads checked for cracks, milled flat, torqued properly, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.