What else should I do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What else should I do?

Ok, I am finally getting to the point where I want to start doing some mods to my truck (2006 f250 eclb with 88,700mi) and this is the list I came up with. I already have an edge insight that I put in back in October and all of my temps are running right where they should be. The only thing replaced on the truck is I had 8 new injectors put in, in August. Here is what I am thinking.

FICM- I have been throwing the p0611 code for about a month. Pretty sure I need to fix this. I am showing no signs of a bad FICM though. Should I just have it rebuilt or look into one from Swamps.

Coolant Filter- Looking into to doing this ASAP. Should I also flush at this time even though I am not showing a dangerous flucuation between ECT and EOT?

4in TB Exaust- Been eyeing the MBRP or the Farmboysdiesel exaust. MBRP is a little higher price but does anybody have any expereice with the quality of FBD?

EGR Delete- I have been keeping my EGR valve clean but would eventually like to delete it the system.

EGT Probe for Insight-

Fuel Pressure Guage- Any decent price ones out there?

SCT x3- From what I have read this seems to be the safest to run with custom tunes on a non studded 6.0 L. Any other tuners to look at.

This is the list for now. I realize I may have to stud and such in the future but should I be ok running non studded tunes? This truck is a farm truck and does pull quite often and pushes snow all winter. It might get hooked to a sled once a year at our county fair for the street class and occasionaly we take our trucks on the 1/4 mile. This truck is going to be an on going project but I would like to start doing some mods to it. Biggest question is where to start and what all to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That is a pretty good list. When I did my coolant filter I went ahead and had my coolant flushed before I opened the valves on the filter.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2farm View Post
Ok, I am finally getting to the point where I want to start doing some mods to my truck (2006 f250 eclb with 88,700mi) and this is the list I came up with. I already have an edge insight that I put in back in October and all of my temps are running right where they should be. The only thing replaced on the truck is I had 8 new injectors put in, in August. Here is what I am thinking.

FICM- I have been throwing the p0611 code for about a month. Pretty sure I need to fix this. I am showing no signs of a bad FICM though. Should I just have it rebuilt or look into one from Swamps. But have you checked the Voltage on the FICM? It is easy to do and will tell you right away if your FICM is bad. If it is bad get a Swamps 58v with PHP tune.

Coolant Filter- Looking into to doing this ASAP. Should I also flush at this time even though I am not showing a dangerous flucuation between ECT and EOT? Flush with Restore and Restore Plus then switch to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. This is way more important than the coolant filter. You have to get the Ford Gold junk out of there.

4in TB Exaust- Been eyeing the MBRP or the Farmboysdiesel exaust. MBRP is a little higher price but does anybody have any expereice with the quality of FBD? Depends on material used. I like 409 Stainless but aluminized should last you for a while unless you live in an area that salts the roads in winter. FBD quality is fine.

EGR Delete- I have been keeping my EGR valve clean but would eventually like to delete it the system. Good idea. This along with the switch to ELC will go a long way toward making your truck reliable.

EGT Probe for Insight- You should definitely do this.

Fuel Pressure Guage- Any decent price ones out there? Good gauges cost a few bucks. Don't cheap out, get the god stuff.

SCT x3- From what I have read this seems to be the safest to run with custom tunes on a non studded 6.0 L. Any other tuners to look at. No, the X3 is fine. It is the cutom tunes that make the difference not the device.

This is the list for now. I realize I may have to stud and such in the future but should I be ok running non studded tunes? This truck is a farm truck and does pull quite often and pushes snow all winter. It might get hooked to a sled once a year at our county fair for the street class and occasionaly we take our trucks on the 1/4 mile. This truck is going to be an on going project but I would like to start doing some mods to it. Biggest question is where to start and what all to do.
With the egr delete and switch to ELC you may never need studs or head gaskets. You might want to consider a bypass oil filter. Your injectors will thank you.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I will check my voltage tomorrow.

Another quick question. My water in fuel light comes on periodically. I crawled under the truck and on the filter on the frame rail the only type of plug I saw was a round one with a hex head in the middle. Is this what I need to drain? I tried to take it out but the hex part was all stripped out...any ideas
Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 AM
VFW MEMBER.

Yea that is the water drain. I open that before I change my filter so I don't get fuel everywhere. Also they make a quick drain plug for that and if you are going to replace it anyway I'd do that.

Here is a link
http://www.xtremediesel.com/hfcmwate...ugupgrade.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.