Questions that I should be able to figure out.... but I can't - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions that I should be able to figure out.... but I can't

Hey guys, Well Ive been stalking this forum for a while now. seems like there is a lot of good people here. this is my first post and Im sure Ill make a fool of myself but I really need help with this so Ill risk looking like a moron if it gets me some clarity. first of I have a 04 F350, Ok Im really confused on the whole EGR cooler, and Oil cooler situation on this motor. when I first got the truck i knew about some of the issues so I went out and bought the Sinister diesel EGR delete. (yet to be installed) then I start reading about the oil cooler failures blown head gaskets. Im starting to wonder if I should get away from this truck and get back to a 7.3 or maybe a cummins. PLEASE don't get me wrong I LOOOVEE my truck!!! but I don't have a ton of money to sink into it right now because IM trying to buy a new house. ok now Im rambling basically heres the deal. I know I need to put some money into the truck to make it rock solid, which I don't mind i just cant do it right away. My question is if I install the EGR delete will that also pretty much solve the need for doing the oil cooler upgrade, and head studs right away? or are they completely seperate issues? At first I thought the EGR was a simple pretty cheap way to make the 6.0 as reliable as any other diesel out there. but the more I read into it the more I hear about oil coolers and blown head gaskets. so what do you guys think, if I install the EGR delete can I relax for a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
The Silent Service

Simplest fix for this whole situation:

Tear down to the EGR/Oil Cooler, solve the EGR cooler (delete as you have on-hand or upgrade the unit). Then, before installing a new/rebuilt oil cooler, flush the system thoroughly with Restore (removes the silicate deposits) and VC-9 (removes everything else). Install the oil cooler, and reassemble everything. This does a number of things, you'll prevent coolant flash-boiling and blowing your gaskets, prevent the oil cooler from clogging with silicate particulates from the Ford Gold Coolant. And gives you the piece of mind that you're not gonna tear the truck apart. After that, you need gauges of the Edge Insight to monitor, EGTs EOT, ECT (a difference of 15* and you'll be back under the hood, which shouldn't happen after the coolant change) and Fuel Pressure (longevity of your injectors).

Any questions, let me know.
I just went through the head-gasket nightmare last month.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 PM

after a long time of reading this forum just do what colo dually said. That covers the big problems and you will love your 6.0
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So basically If I clean and flush out the factory oil cooler and install the EGR delete that SHOULD eliminate most of the "common 6.0 issues"? I do one day intend to do the bullet proof oil cooler system if need be and the head studs and gasket but that will run a fella like 4 grand by the time its all said and one !!! I don't have that kind of cash right now but I sure would like to keep her! shes a damn good lookin truck and when shes runnin shes a beast!!!! and on a side not colo dually if "jezebel" is the name you gave your truck that is AWESOME!!!! LOL I love it! I name all my vehicles to (i know cheesy) and that has to be the best one Ive ever heard!!!

Last edited by frostz28; 02-17-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
The Silent Service

Believe me, if the labor wasn't covered under a warranty, I wouldn't have the studs installed. Flushing the factory oil cooler isn't enough though, after the Restore there may be additional silicate gel gunking up the cooler. Its advised if you're in there to do one, do both, so you're not going back in there later.

I feel the same way you do. I drop the throttle on this truck its a thing of beauty, and that's just the stock 4.30 gears, and no tuner. Do those few things, and you'll be fine. A good ELC relieves some of the need to get an external oil cooler.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is the exact process used to replace coolant?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Most guys on here including myself run a bypass filtration coolant system. It is worth the money. It get's all the crap from the ford coolant out, which seems to me to be the biggest problem with the 6.0. There are many great write ups on this in here. The best is from a guy called svtgreen something (sorry I don't remember).
Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

with you coolant filter, did you leave the ford gold in? or upgrade?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get rid of the Ford gold coolant and switch to ELC as soon as you can. Many of the 6.0's issues start with that coolant. Read the links in my signature. They'll help you get a better understanding of what's going on.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:28 AM

I was hoping you would see this pgreensvt (sorry I could not think of your name).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.