Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 questions and answers??

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  justinlogue5_0 
#1 ·
I have a good friend who has a 6.0 (05 or 06 I think) and is tired of it living at the Ford dealer. He how ever has no clue on what to watch for in temps,why to flush coolants etc... I am getting him to sign up on here to start reading for himself but untill he does I was wondering if every one could throw out some info. Lets say you just bought a virgin 6.0 and are going to do nothing but dd for your company with an occasional 5 to 8000 lb trailer. What would be the very first thing you would do all the way down to the last thing? Not performance just longevity related. Gauges,collant flush, etc...
Thanks and I can't wait to start seeing your answers.:icon_ford:

#4 ·
I'm fairly new at this and I'm sure that some of the more experienced folks will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've learned:

1. Most importantly, get a reliable way to monitor EOT (engine oil temp) and ECT (engine coolant temp). This will let you know if you have issues with the oil cooler and if you do, obviously, address this first along with any related items.
  2. After you know if you need to address issues with the oil cooler and haven't already had to, change the coolant out to ELC.
  3. Change out fluids when they become due (oil, trans, etc).
  4. Delete EGR system.

Please correct me if I am out of order or if you think there is other things that need to be addressed for reliability.

#8 ·
Good starting point right there. Use the Motorcraft or International, or Racor filters. They are all amde by Racor and the price is much less if you get the Racor or the International filters instead of Motorcraft. I also recommend he use a good 5w40 synthetic oil. If he lives in a cold climate a 5w30 for the winter.

#5 ·
Excellent list:thumb:

#9 ·
Its a Tn truck. Great list guys. Would you recomend getting rid of the EGR completely or a Bulletproof one? If it doesn't throw codes then he could delete it altogether. They don't inspect here but they do plug into the OBD port for codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.