How many miles on your 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many miles on your 6.0

Haven't been on the forum in a while. I bought a 2007 with 53K and it has ran great with no issues to this point (knock on wood). It now has 73k (+20k) in just under a year. I really like the truck and in the near future want to start putting some money into modifications (not engine related--yet) but wonder if I should just keep it stock, save my money and sell it in a couple years and buy the new model (2011-later). I think one of the big determining factors is wether or not I could rely on it to get me to 250-300k miles. I realize it won't be completely maintenance free, but don't want to have to expect major overhaul's. I don't plan on tuning or doing anything at this point. I would entertain an EGR delete once Warranty expires or something else that could add to reliablility and longevity. So questions are: How many miles are you seeing in your 2005-2007's? & What mod's are a must to gain real longevity in your 6.0? I realize there are probably many posts already on these topics, so links to good threads are appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to learning from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Put a coolant filter on. I don't think this will affect your warranty. I've even heard that some folks have had luck getting their Ford Dealership to do the install. The filter will remove the casting sand left in the block and help to filter out the harmful silicates in the Ford Gold Coolant.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw1812 View Post
I realize there are probably many posts already on these topics, so links to good threads are appreciated.
only if there was a magical button that did a search for such a topic.... i'll suggest it to the mod's so maybe they can see if it's even possible

.... 115k on 05. EGR Delete, ARP's, cat/muffler deleted.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw1812 View Post
Haven't been on the forum in a while. I bought a 2007 with 53K and it has ran great with no issues to this point (knock on wood). It now has 73k (+20k) in just under a year. I really like the truck and in the near future want to start putting some money into modifications (not engine related--yet) but wonder if I should just keep it stock, save my money and sell it in a couple years and buy the new model (2011-later). I think one of the big determining factors is wether or not I could rely on it to get me to 250-300k miles. I realize it won't be completely maintenance free, but don't want to have to expect major overhaul's. I don't plan on tuning or doing anything at this point. I would entertain an EGR delete once Warranty expires or something else that could add to reliablility and longevity. So questions are: How many miles are you seeing in your 2005-2007's? & What mod's are a must to gain real longevity in your 6.0? I realize there are probably many posts already on these topics, so links to good threads are appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to learning from you.
You might want to check the links in my signature. Number one reliability mod is to flush the cooling system and switch to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. Then delete the EGR as soon as you can. Those to things alone will do wonders for the reliability of your truck. A good monitoring solution is a necessity and not an option. If you are not already monitoring your ECT and EOT you need to to determine the health of your oil cooler. The best bang for the buck is the Edge Insight. A nice 4" cat back with a cat delete, and an SCT X3 with tunes from someone like Eric, Matt, or Vivian will keep you smiling from ear to ear and keep your truck reliable too. Add a coolant filter and a bypass oil filter and drive it. That's all you really need to do to have a really enjoyable reliable truck. And be anal about routine maintenance. I strongly suggest a good synthetic oil in 5w40 changed at 5 or 6 thousand miles. If you choose to run dino oil consider it used up at 4k.

There is plenty other stuff you can do but the above won't take you broke and still give you a real fun truck. If that gets boring you can always throw a Powermax Turbo and a set of 190cc injectors in it and tune it to about 550 rwhp. After that you are talking exponential dollar investments for the returns.

Oh yeah. Do the Insight and the coolant flush and change over asap. Neither one will affect your warranty.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
mine is an 07 with 96k, its been in the shop twice because of head gaskets and its going again soon before the warranty is up since its puking again.

after i get this last warranty service work done, the EGR is getting deleted, CAT ELC is going in, and a coolant filter right after i switch to ELC.
This will help a lot with longevity after my warranty is up. then once the HG go again, i'll install ARP's myself and take the heads to the machine shop that builds our race motors to ensure they're flat.
I still love my truck and i wont be getting rid of it anytime soon!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM

129k on mine. I think there was a thread pretty much identical to this last week or so.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
55k on mine. all the stuff i wanted to get done is done for now.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought my first ford last friday. It has 53k miles and looks brand new. Its an 03 model so feel free to call me names if you wish Does not sound like there is a lot of love for that year. But it also sounds like the love out there for them, while saying it does have its faults, it that the people who run hot tunes that run into the majority of the problems. Now I could be wrong, since I recently crossed over from the dark side (GM) and dont know a ton about these trucks. I did feel safe with it though cause I have an extra 5 year/60k mile warranty, I made sure it said 113k miles on the truck just to be safe. Still have yet to run through a tank yet. So its still new to me.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

213000 km on mine stock head bolts , seems to run strong
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM

If u don't have the extended warranty then it is lapsed. My truck sprung oil leaks and needed new gaskets on stock tuning, was on point with maintnence mind you. But when i got a tuner it actually ran better with a custom tune with better mileage. I have a mild "non-studded" street tune from innovative diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.