Oil Filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Filters

Just wanted to let all ya 6.0ers know that Schucks Auto Supply (I think "Kragen" for a lot of ya) has their 2 Fram Oil filters for 7 bucks coupon in Sundays paper (at least in my area). Can't beat this deal and I love the expression on the counter guys face when he says, "What, Um, Am I reading this correctly. You know that you're getting one hell of a deal." Gotta love the savings. At least that is what i tell my old lady. Hay babe, just saved us some money for your shopping habit.

Moon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Or just cost you money for your shopping habbit.

Fram filter = Not good
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post

Fram filter = Not good
What's wrong with Fram? It looks exactly like the Motorcraft. One other filter I looked at ( Purolator, I think) wasn't even built the same.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

They may appear to be built the same but they are far from it. 25-30 micron filters just don't get the job done. I have seen all paper filter even motorcraft filters callapse and restrict flow. The cardboard housing just isn't strong enough. Also when you put a new paper filter in and put the cap on it will twist the filter pleats in turn restricting flow as well.

If price is what your looking for there you go 2 of 7.00 in a 50k truck. They sure lack in quality though.

Maybe some EAO88 users will chime in.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post

Fram filter = Not good
Unfortunately, they won't even make good toilet paper!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM

What? Dieselman, what do you suggest using? Is motorcraft a no go also, because I believe the fram is just a repackaged motorcaft oil filter? If you look at the patent number they are identical. From my understanding that means they are the same. I'm not sure what you use but I am anxious to hear. What I've heard is that every other oil filter for the 6.0 is crap compared to the m/c and fram. I'm not saying you're wrong but sure would like to hear others opinion on this topic. Who knows? I've been known to be wrong before, at least that's what my wife has told me.

Moon
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If i remeber right the motorcraft filters are made by racor
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

AMSOIL EaO88 Oil Filter for Ford 6.0L Diesel PowerStroke™ Applications
A premium, high efficiency cartridge oil filter utilizing nanofiber technology for Ford 6.0L diesel engines ranging from 2003 to 2006. The new EaO88 is the world’s first oil filter cartridge for diesel applications using advanced submicron full synthetic media. The EaO88 provides an efficiency of 98.7% at 16 microns, significantly higher than the OEM filter.

The rigid construction of this filter is due to a polymeric center tube and end caps, along with its proprietary composition incorporating special grade nanofiber synthetic media, enabling the filter to last up to 1 year or 25,000 miles when used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oil. Because of its improved oil flow, an additional benefit of this synthetic filter media is that oil is delivered to key engine components quicker, thus enhancing the lubrication process during cold weather starts.

You can choose to use the oil aswell, but the filters are top notch there is no better filter on the market
Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

The Following was a write done by a lubrication engineer. He in no way has anything to do with amsoi. He actually used to be an engineer for mobil.

I recently completed comparative testing for an Amsoil EaO oil filter on my Toyota Sequoia (and one is in process for my Duramax) and from a lube engineer's perspective, it is simply the finest oil filter currently on the market. Period... My used engine oil is actually cleaner than the new Mobil 1 oil I put IN the engine..
Each filter had 1,500 miles on. The OEM filter was from a new oil change with Mobil 1 R 0W-30, while the Amsoil EaO filter was a filter change only with no make up oil added. Vehicle has 160,000 miles on the engine. Mobil 1 since new, of course....

My "before and after" are as follows:

OEM oil filter Amsoil EaO 57
ISO18/17/14 ISO 14/13/11
>4 microns = 1817 128 particles per ml
>6 microns = 990 70
>14 microns = 168 12
>25 microns = 34 2
>50 microns = 3 0
>100 microns = 0 0

As a lube engineer, when I can reduce an ISO grade by one number I am ecstatic. One number cuts abrasive components in half.. Four numbers, well, I am in filter nirvana....
This represents a 93%+ reduction in abrasive particles and will definitely provide long term wear reductions and increased component life...

George Morrison, STLE CLS
(NOTE: I am not nor have I ever been an Amsoil dealer: have no association: quite the contrary, actually)
Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM

Dieselman, thanks for the explanation. By the way how much is one of those oil filters. And if you want to know, I am trying to save money and if I'm going to use a less superior filter then what you've suggested then I'll stick with my OEM mc or fram filter.

Moon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.