Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Powerstroke Question

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  skirk55 
#1 ·
I own a 2005 F350 6.0 Diesel and the truck will be pulling mu 5 th wheel from Pa to Yellowstone and back. I have 70,000 miles on it now and I know the 6.0 has head gasket problems. Should I get the head gaskets and oil cooler plus egr cooler replaced now? About what has everyone paid for this job. What mfg of parts would be the best? Will it make it bullet Proof or just delay the problem?:dunno:

#2 ·
It is just a matter of time before they blow and it is easier to have the head gaskets done before they blow. As for the EGR delete and cooler im not sure on the brand but as for head studs ARP is the way to go and go with black onyx head gaskets. Once you have a delete and head studs you shouldn't have any future problems.

#4 ·
Sorry but this just isn't true. There are plenty of guys with 200k + on original head gaskets.

What you need to do before you go is get something like an Edge Insight to monitor your current coolant temp and oil temp delta. If it is over 15* at full operating temp cruising at 65-70 mph and empty then your cooler is clogged and needs replacing. Normally the delta will be in the neighborhood of 4-6*. If your oil cooler is clogged get it rebuilt now.

Also flush your cooling system and replace the coolant with a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. It is the Silicates if Ford's G-05 Gold coolant that starts the snow ball of clogged oil cooler, blown egr cooler, blown head gaskets. Make sure you eliminate the monster at it's source and that you are running a clean oil cooler and your trip should go fine.

If you do have to replace the oil cooler, delete the egr cooler if you can. If not replace it with a Bulletproof Diesel egr cooler. While doing the oil cooler have the STC fitting on the HPOP updated as they are prone to failure on the 05 and have the dummy plugs and standpipes replaced as well. It's cheaper to do it now than to tear it all apart again.

#3 ·
If you decide to go with headstuds, have the heads sent out to be checked for flatness,and cracks.

#5 ·
$395
Rollin Smoke Diesel. 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke ARP Head Stud Kit

$398
6.0L Powerstroke Stud Kit

Mine was under warranty. I did call some shops and it was ~$2000+ for head studs. You can do it yourself over a weekend. Many have.

Head studs and stock gaskets will fix the head bolt problem.

Delete or modify the egr system. Look at my link for modifying the egr system.

You do not need to replace the coolers. Only if they are bad. Clean out your coolant system. Then put a filter and replace with some typed of ELC coolant.

#6 ·
There is no problem with the stock TTY head bolts at 30-32 psi levels they are intended to clamp. The problem arises when the egr cooler ruptures and allows coolant to get into the cylinders creating very high cylinder pressures. Even H11's aren't going to hold that down.

If you haven't blown your egr cooler the odds are your head gaskets and head bolts are fine. Make sure you have a good oil cooler and switch to ELC. You may never have to touch the heads.

#9 ·
No! You also need to flush the cooling system and switch to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. It is the Ford Gold coolant that is the root of the problem. If you don't get rid of The Gold coolant the problem WILL reoccur.

#8 ·
I work for a John Deere Dealer and I have over $30,000 in tools just to work on tractors. I will not work on my own truck! I smell Diesel Fuel all day. I am dirty every day. I have seen too many times the handy back yard motor work. I know there are owners that have had good luck doing the work themselves but I will pay extra for the work and get a warranty.

#10 ·
I have anti freeze spitting out of my Degas bottle but there is no oil no smoke. I pulled my EGR valve and it was dry!! There is white splattered around my degas bottle and the fluid level is about 1/4" from empty. I have to get something done asap now.

#11 ·
Over filling the degas bottle will cause Puking, so will a weak degas cap. Try that first before jumping into studs. Ford lowered the coolant level on the degas bottle, the new max is the old minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.