stange issue or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stange issue or not

I have a 2005 6.0l stock except a cat back (cat removed) and a old style K&N filter. I bought the truck at the beginning of the year. I have noticed that when I start it cold, drive for a bit and it warms up the post turbo egt's struggle to get over 400*and the most spool the best. Then I shut it off let it set for say 5 mins (dropping the kid of at daycare) and start back up within 3 minutes of driving my post turbo egts are around 500* and will go as high as 600* by the time I'm at work and the boost response is better. Now if I don't have to drop the kid off and drive straight to work I might see 500*. to me something is getting heat soak and then works better. my thoughts are EGR ( just cleaned it and it was only about 50% clogged) or the turbo needs cleaned. Any thoughts, BTW the last time it was flashed was in 2008 and I don't know the strat.

other specs
ford oil filter
Rotella T6 oil
air filter has been cleaned

doing in the next two weeks to see if this helps
fuel filters (ford)
water drain
pressure reg spring (blue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to troid123
You really should relocate you EGT probe to the driver side manifold to get your actual EGT reading...

Last edited by troid123; 02-16-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: didnt read post completely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troid123 View Post
You really should relocate you EGT probe to the driver side manifold to get your actual EGT reading...
This was done Prior to my ownership of the truck but the thought has crossed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,958
Thanks: 3
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep, having the EGT probe post turbo isn't giving you the EGT information you need. You need to see what the EGT's are coming out of the cylinders. Sounds to me as though your turbo bushings might be coked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Yep, having the EGT probe post turbo isn't giving you the EGT information you need. You need to see what the EGT's are coming out of the cylinders. Sounds to me as though your turbo bushings might be coked up.
are you saying the 9 vanes and unison ring needs cleaned or the shaft bushings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egt question

Sorry about getting off topic but can anyone tell me why you would not want your egt probe on both manifold since there is not enough room up behind the turbo? I have mine on the drivers side manifold but I have thought about adding one on the passenger side. There is no way to tell if you have a dead cylinder or really hot on that side of your engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111aj View Post
Sorry about getting off topic but can anyone tell me why you would not want your egt probe on both manifold since there is not enough room up behind the turbo? I have mine on the drivers side manifold but I have thought about adding one on the passenger side. There is no way to tell if you have a dead cylinder or really hot on that side of your engine.
Some people have done this, I dont know if there is a real benefit but it can be done..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakville
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
I have a 2005 6.0l stock except a cat back (cat removed) and a old style K&N filter. I bought the truck at the beginning of the year. I have noticed that when I start it cold, drive for a bit and it warms up the post turbo egt's struggle to get over 400*and the most spool the best. Then I shut it off let it set for say 5 mins (dropping the kid of at daycare) and start back up within 3 minutes of driving my post turbo egts are around 500* and will go as high as 600* by the time I'm at work and the boost response is better. Now if I don't have to drop the kid off and drive straight to work I might see 500*. to me something is getting heat soak and then works better. my thoughts are EGR ( just cleaned it and it was only about 50% clogged) or the turbo needs cleaned. Any thoughts, BTW the last time it was flashed was in 2008 and I don't know the strat.

other specs
ford oil filter
Rotella T6 oil
air filter has been cleaned

doing in the next two weeks to see if this helps
fuel filters (ford)
water drain
pressure reg spring (blue)
I would get rid of the K&N filter as well. So a search on "turbo dusting". You'll see why you should only use the OEM air filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: near Jefferson, Oregon
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if it is the K&N fipk, not the drop in replacement S&B makes a direct replacement for the K&N filter element. (did that to my truck, had K&N when I bought it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,958
Thanks: 3
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
are you saying the 9 vanes and unison ring needs cleaned or the shaft bushings?
I am saying the shaft bushings. Sticking vanes don't usually improve with heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors