Transmission Fluid Change - Filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Fluid Change - Filters

Just curious, but how many 6.0 Powerstroke owners here with the TorqShift Auto-Transmission have an inline filter PN FT-166 or PN 2W4Z-7B155-BA? There is also a PN FT-165 which is a kit which includes the filter FT-166. On my truck the filter had the number 2W4Z-7B155-BA.

This is an external in-line filter. It is not the by-pass toilet paper filter which is PN FT-145 or PN 3C3Z-7B155-BA

I've not seen anyone mention this filter in all the Transmission Fluid Change threads I've looked at, but my truck has it coming off the return line from the OTA (oil-to-air cooler), in addition to the external by-pass toilet paper filter and internal screen.

I'm just curious whether this filter is on all 6.0's, or just some out there. Also, what quotes for transmission fluid flushes have you been given by your dealerships? I was just quoted $222 + tax for a heated flush, but not dropping the pan or changing external filters. I can't imagine why anyone would ever do a flush and not at least change the external filters. Whether I have them do it or not, the filters will get changed. But anyways, just wanting to compare notes.

Pics of FT-166 Filter and FT-165 Filter Kit

Last edited by Gringo_Tex; 02-16-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Change to correct PN from FT-185 to FT-166
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Ive not seen that filter before. I never flush mine just change the filter and fluid (SP only). Im not even sure what a "hot flush" is
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

I've read several threads (on more than one forum), where it's been said that if the ATF is not at least 170 deg F, that an internal thermostat won't open up and so you won't get a complete flush/fluid change. When I called the dealer for the quote, I asked if the flush was heated. The service advisor wasn't sure about what I was asking, but he went to ask and find out. Came back and said yes, it is heated, and that their fluid change gets 99+% exchange of fluid. So either he learned something new, or he told me what I wanted to hear LOL.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Gottcha well, thats good info to know.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo_Tex View Post
Just curious, but how many 6.0 Powerstroke owners here with the TorqShift Auto-Transmission have an inline filter PN FT-185 or PN 2W4Z-7B155-G? I think the PN's have evolved from PN FT-165 and PN FT-166. On my truck the filter had the number 2W4Z-7B155-BA, but when I called the dealership they said the tail had changed from BA to G.

This is an external in-line filter. It is not the by-pass toilet paper filter which is PN FT-145 or PN 3C3Z-7B155-BA

I've not seen anyone mention this filter in all the Transmission Fluid Change threads I've looked at, but my truck has it coming off the return line from the OTA (oil-to-air cooler), in addition to the external by-pass toilet paper filter and internal screen.

I'm just curious whether this filter is on all 6.0's, or just some out there. Also, what quotes for transmission fluid flushes have you been given by your dealerships? I was just quoted $222 + tax for a heated flush, but not dropping the pan or changing external filters. I can't imagine why anyone would ever do a flush and not at least change the external filters. Whether I have them do it or not, the filters will get changed. But anyways, just wanting to compare notes.
No 6.0's will have the filter in your first link.

Thats the 5r110 gasser filter
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraWhat? View Post
Gottcha well, thats good info to know.
While I've read this on "the wild wild internet", I have not been able to nail down a hard reference for it. I tend to believe it is true, because it make sense that fluid wouldn't flow out to the oil cooler UNTIL it had reached a normal operating temperature threshold.

I read it from posts by a guy named Mark Kovalsky on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. His sig says the following, "Former Ford automatic transmission engineer, 1988-2007." So he ought to know.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
While I've read this on "the wild wild internet", I have not been able to nail down a hard reference for it. I tend to believe it is true, because it make sense that fluid wouldn't flow out to the oil cooler UNTIL it had reached a normal operating temperature threshold.

I read it from posts by a guy named Mark Kovalsky on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. His sig says the following, "Former Ford automatic transmission engineer, 1988-2007." So he ought to know.
Mark is actually where the heated fluid info came from
Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
No 6.0's will have the filter in your first link.

Thats the 5r110 gasser filter
Yeah, I noticed that in the description on the link. That PN FT-185 was given to me by the parts guy at the dealership after he couldn't find the PN I read off the actual filter on my truck. HOWEVER, the PN's FT-165 and FT-166 show up on FordParts.com with my VIN. FT-166 is the filter, and FT-165 is a kit which includes the same filter. Really, when you think about it, it shouldn't matter whether it's a gas or diesel, only if its a TorqShift, although I know some of the internal gearing will be a little different due to different operating RPMs.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that in the description on the link. That PN FT-185 was given to me by the parts guy at the dealership after he couldn't find the PN I read off the actual filter on my truck. HOWEVER, the PN's FT-165 and FT-166 show up on FordParts.com with my VIN. FT-166 is the filter, and FT-165 is a kit which includes the same filter. Really, when you think about it, it shouldn't matter whether it's a gas or diesel, only if its a TorqShift, although I know some of the internal gearing will be a little different due to different operating RPMs.
Theres more than gearing different between the gas and diesel versions. Alot more.

Something is goofy with ford parts. It doesnt show up with 3 6.0 vins that I ran.

But then its not supposed to either
Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Theres more than gearing different between the gas and diesel versions. Alot more.

Something is goofy with ford parts. It doesnt show up with 3 6.0 vins that I ran.

But then its not supposed to either
What I meant was, it shouldn't make any difference on whether there is this "extra" in-line filter. It would also seem that there should be no difference, or at least no need for a difference between FT-185 and FT-166 filters other than "gas" in the description since they both filter Mercon LV fluid. They both say they are for 1/2", which I am assuming is for 1/2" cooler lines. Perhaps there is a difference in filtering capacities?

I am far from expert.

My d(st?)ealership quoted me $49 for this filter. I found it at Tousley's for just shy of $20. Dieselfiltersonline also have it cheaper. Amazon has it for a little over $22 with free super saver shipping. I'd like to give my local dealer my business, but if they feel the need to break it off in me, well ... I got better things to do with my time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.