Odd quote on tranny flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd quote on tranny flush

I know the "to flush or not" and the "flush cost" questions have been beaten half to death lately, but I'm going to have it done. The truck's new to me, want to have dealer do the maintenance per the interval through the warranty period.

So I call to 3 local dealers today. First one has a dedicated diesel shop, they quote approx $250. I asked what I get for that and they told me it's just a drain, in-line filter, refill. I can do that at home.

I call the second shop; they quoted me approx $250. They said they flush it. However, the dude on the phone did nothing to inspire even the slightest amount of confidence that he knew what he was talking about.

Those prices are largely in line with what others have seen.

So I call the third shop. Small dealer in a small town about 10 miles out. They say they flush the system and quoted me $160. Now, I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but this seems way low compared to what others are seeing. They had enough knowledge to ask me what fluid it took (some would say they should've known; but I cold called them) and they said "Oh, SP is more expensive, let me check." That's when they came back w/ the 160 figure.

Thoughts on this?
Is there anything special about a torqshift flush machine versus what they'd use on other stuff?

Thanks in advance,

Hemicbx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

drain it yourself, pull the pan change inside filter and inline filter refill it and roll on. imho DO NOT FLUSH. i had my 99 flushed and it ruined my trans. i only put about 1000 miles on it after that and had to rebuild it. the valve body was full of crap. dont think the newer ones have valve bodies but the ole flush technique is junk.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Flush it. but be sure your mechanic has a heated fluid exchanger
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM

What's supposed to be special is that the flush should be a heated flush. Apparently, if the ATF isn't up to a certain threshold, an internal thermostat won't open to access all the fluid. Supposed to be around 170 deg F according to my 'internet' reading, so take that for what you think it's worth. I haven't found any reference to this in my Ford literature yet, but I'm not doubting it. I'd be interested to hear from those that know, where this is written or comes from, because I don't think I've seen my TFT hit 170 deg F yet while driving on my DashDAQ monitor.

I called my dealer today, and was quoted $222 for heated flush, no filters changed in that quote. I also called the parts counter, and they quoted $6.03/qt for Mercon SP, and $4.83/qt for Mercon LV. So for whatever reason, they are charging more for SP. Seems like they'd want to get rid of it, but there you go.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it can be done yourself too. i unhooked a cooler line a return line and put it with some clear hose into a gallon jug. I started ther truck and the trans pump pumped it full. I then poured a gallon in. I did this a total of 3 times. Of course not too long ago I did the filter.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM

I paid $255.40 out the to have mine flushed with the external filter. I can't tell you if that was heated or not because I didn't know to ask at the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
160 bucks heated with LV at my dealer 180 with filter
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what heated? Just fluid hot before its put in?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
what heated? Just fluid hot before its put in?
You would want to drive the truck and get it to operating temperature prior to the flush, and you would want the new fluid to also be hot, since once it starts to flow in, it would reduce the internal temperature.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
160 bucks heated with LV at my dealer 180 with filter
Wish I had your dealer next door. That deal beats doing it yourself considering the convenience factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.